Ridiculous OnStar Prices

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Tylus, May 23, 2018.

1. GTNator

GTNator Senior Member Supporting Member

Name:
    GTNator

Yup, I hear you. It's even getting harder and harder to buy Microsoft Office outright. They really want you to buy the monthly "365" version. I don't like it either, but I see it everywhere. I'm in the tech industry and all the corporate enterprise software is almost all subscription based now, whereas 15 years ago it was not.

swathdiver likes this.
  2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    That's exactly right! I searched far and wide and found a DVD for the full featured Office 2016. And another peeve, whereas the license granted was for two devices, a pc and laptop, such is rare today as well!

My PC has all the horsepower and latest software and hardware and all the old stuff was used to update my laptop from 2006 which is still humming along on Windows 7 now and my ancient copy of Office 2003. Still have my Office 97 discs! About to put up for sale my old Apple II programs and DOS and Windows 3.0 too. Lots of 5.25" floppies. Surprisingly there's still a market for that stuff on ebay.

GTNator likes this.
  3. Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Gary
    I will add one thing. Called OnStar today as I got lost in Brooklyn. They sent me to ALL the wrong areas on potholed streets. They used to be good but now they are so wrong the bulk of the time. Took 8 calls to get right directions.

I think the OnStar calls get routed to Nigeria. I would ask them but they probably would route me into a ocean. I am having second thoughts on keeping OnStar.

swathdiver likes this.
  4. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Careful, they might "turn by turn" you into an ambush! Back in '06-'08 I used it once while traveling and she used that car more often and liked that feature. Before that I had a GPS mapping program on my big laptop and would lug that around. It always had a knack for bringing me to the back door of our destinations in the middle of the night. Once it brought us to a dead end where the B-n-Bs cannery had been, had to drive ten miles to get 'round front! LOL I think that's when we decided to use the Onstar more. The old Delorme Street Atlas wasn't cutting it anymore!

Miami-Dade likes this.
  5. cbuckeye20

cbuckeye20 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    I actually switched to this for the family plan perks. $99/year for everyone in family to have all products and (most importantly) 1 TB of storage each. Peace of mind just to have all of their files backed up and not have to deal with worrying about it. Compared with dropbox, google, or apple, Office is really a cherry on top. If they do have problems with an office product/onedrive there is phone/chat support for free as well.

I'm also in tech and anything that lets me do less "tech support" for my family is $ well spent :)

6. mountie

mountie Member

Name:
    Peter
    When I bought my 2005 Yukon XL SLT a month & a half ago, it has Compustar. It's a remote starter & lock/unlock. The Yukon has that OnStar, but I won't pay as if I have a second cell phone contract. I don't see the need in a GM - owned widget with a scam price.
    I have a spare key hidden under the truck...
    I have a TOM-TOM GPS, and Google Maps at home...... What's the point of On Star??
    Most all reviews of OnStar is "one star", anyway.

Cusomano likes this.
  7. No Tyme

No Tyme TYF Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    I use to have OnStar when I worked till 2 or 3 in the morning. I drove rural roads to get home and if I would have hit a deer or run into a ditch I would have had help, hopefully. But one night I slipped on the semi truck steps and really scraped up my leg. Parked truck 300 yards from my 14 Silverado and in the rain limped to my truck only to find I left the keys in the bag in the semi truck. Called OnStar because the door would not unlock with the app so I could get to my backup key... No workie.
    OnStar told me I did not have service on my truck, and later that day when I complained they admitted the operator made a mistake. Offered me 1 extra free month.
    I will never waste another dime on OnStar because they were not there when I really needed them.

8. Lurch

Lurch TYF Newbie

Name:
    James
    I'd had Onstar on every GM vehicle I've owned but dropped it last year on my 15 Yukon. I'd used it never as they sold it, never locked out of the car, never used the minutes which I had to call to rollover, never needed directions with my cellphone in the car..I was wasting money on a service just for the sake of having it.

9. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser Full Access Member

Name:
    Val
    The basic access to my vehicle is free.

10. Tylus

Tylus Full Access Member

Name:
    Jeremiah
    Check it again. May 01 2018 ONSTAR revised their policy.

I get email updates, but all the other services are gone after the "FREE" 1 MONTH trial