Reverse facing car seats seem too upright

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrotriX

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have 2 rear-facing Nuna Rava car seats in our second row captains chairs. The car seats are set to their most reclined setting but are still very upright. Not a big deal for our toddler but our 6 month old’s head falls forward if she falls asleep. This is not an issue in our XC90 where the same car seat is moderately reclined on even its middle setting. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions? I’m wondering if there is some sort of approved/safe wedge to put underneath the car seat to give it more tilt.

Thanks!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're done with rear facing (finally!!!) so we haven't had a car seat setup that way in our Yukon.

However, when we were starting out and researching car seats we always found this website helpful - here's what they have to say about a seat that won't recline enough...

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have 2 rear-facing Nuna Rava car seats in our second row captains chairs. The car seats are set to their most reclined setting but are still very upright. Not a big deal for our toddler but our 6 month old’s head falls forward if she falls asleep. This is not an issue in our XC90 where the same car seat is moderately reclined on even its middle setting. Anyone else have this problem? Solutions? I’m wondering if there is some sort of approved/safe wedge to put underneath the car seat to give it more tilt.

Thanks!
Well to address the “approved” wedge. You’re not gonna find that. The answer is to get a different car seat if you wanna go by the book.

However if I was in your shoes and you’re married to that specific seat. Wedge some folded up towels under the base and pull on them iso latch straps with all your might. I’ve found that applying my weight into the car seat while pulling the straps helps a ton. As long as you’re getting less than 1” movement then you’re secured. Them towels aren’t gonna slip out.

Edit. I over thought it… car seat wedges exist, you’re just not gonna find one approved to work with your baby seat

Last edited:

gatorintx

Reaction score
Agreed on using a wedge of some sort like a folded/rolled up towel. Or for the 6 month old, the more expensive (but by the book) solution would be to use a different car seat like a Doona or an Uppababy Vista that has a base that you set the car seat in. Those bases have adjustable wedges for just this very scenario. We've had both and they do the trick. Downside is the kids grow out of them by around a year old, depending on size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kidtahoe