Reset Fuel Trims ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea there differences in flex and non. Defiantly has larger injectors and fuel pump. Fuel lines are rubber I believe. Flex also has fuel sensor to detect fuel mixture, o2 and pcm. Flex though is the better choice if you want to supercharge it

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is disheartening! E85 here is right at $2 a gal. I did use 87 octane mainly because everything else is an entire $1 more per gallon. Why do they not compensate for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, the price difference between low test and high test is greater than ever before but there are some reasons for this. First of all, you have market forces of supply and demand at play, then we know that the premium fuels contain additives that are beneficial to keeping the fuel system clean, lowering emissions and increased gas mileage. In general, it costs less to run 93 than 87 because of the greater fuel economy of the higher test gas. Over the years I've documented at least 2 mpg from anything I drove over time to 6 mpg with certain vehicles and certain brands of fuel. The Prius drivers love to talk about this on their forums, they get 4-8 mpg higher economy not by switching from 87 to 93, but by using one particular brand of 93 over another. They already know that 87 and 89 stink.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in the mean time, my truck has been running 100% perfect since the dealer reset the fuel trims. I never used E85 at all...
Apparently if the trims get out of whack, they don't automatically correct. Then you get erroneous codes for running rich...

Teeroy78

Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of this problem too. I've never even seen E85 gas anywhere in Manitoba, so I certainly haven't put any in, but after my last tank from Superstore (regular grade) I got P0172 and P0175 with freeze frame data showing alcohol content over 75%. That was on the way home from an errand right after filling up. It eventually settled at 45.5%, and the check engine light would keep coming back pretty often. Too bad because we had a nasty cold snap around Christmas, and a CEL disables remote start. :)

Fast forward to today where I finally emptied that tank, went to Shell and filled with premium 91 octane zero ethanol, hoping it was just a bad batch of gas. I then headed for the highway and went far a drive, about 40km. Watching the alcohol content bounce around on my BlueDriver, it finally settled at 27.5%, and the short and long term fuel trims are still just as bad as before. I'm sure I'll see a CEL in the next day or two.

I just hate to go pay the dealer a ridiculous amount of money to reset the fuel trims just because I don't have a Tech 2. Depending on what they want to charge, it may be worth it to get an Alibaba Tech 2 and then I'll have something to keep after. :)

I'm glad to hear that you're still running problem free after your dealer reset.

If anybody is interested, I've attached the PDF of the freeze frame report.

Attachments

• FreezeFrame-Dec_15_2017_04-29-26-PM.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19