RES Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I am swapping my truck for an 04' Z71 Suburban and was looking at swapping out the factory head unit for an aftermarket one. I know that I will need a GMOS-04 and a steering wheel interface (Metra BTW has one that does not need to be programmed). That will keep my Bose, Onstar and Delayed accesory power feature. The question is will I loose my RES??

Unlike the 07+ everything is in the back (DVD player etc.) and I assume that the dvd player audio output goes directly to the bose amp, will I just need an aux input on the headunit that I buy to switch over the audio?? And will what will I need to do to make this all work?

Thanks
Brandon

Last edited:

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIK you lose it when you change to a non-oem head.

easy way to find out, unplug the head unit and see if it still turns on and the IR headphones still work.
then start looking for the audio pinouts so you can make your own output jacks.

the question becomes, WHY do you want to change to an aftermarket head?

OP
OP

07Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory one has half the numbers worn off and from what I have heard these bose systems sound much better with an aftermarket head.
And watched a head on ebay sell for more than a 6 year old factory head unit is worth to me. Would rather spend the extra money and get all new stuff.

Unless there is a way to replace the buttons or someone has a factory 04 bose head that they want to sell me reallllly cheap.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buttons are $35 on ebay.

:)

you'll absolutely lose the rear seat controls,
probably the RSE.

DO you have factory xm? You will lose that also or have to replace with aftermarket XM module.

vs 'new stuff' and all the adapters to get it to almost work like stock + the risk of theft...

On the factory head btw, IMO the audio out is as clean as any aftermarket head... all the bad audio is in the bose amp and how it processes the input. PArticularly on the non premium Bose like tahoes have.

OP
OP

07Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The buttons on ebay....well shit, who would have known.
This may be the way to go. At least until I can pull out the rear dvd player and see how it is wired in to the bose amp and/or headunit. If someone has figured this out I would love to know.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
If you end up getting an aftermarket head unit you might as well plan on buying a new aftermarket flip down monitor that will work with the new head unit.

OP
OP

07Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say buttons it is. Thanks for the lead, I would have never thought of it. I just do not feel like spending $1000+ on this now. Money is better spent somewhere else.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n