Replacing my diy exhaust with Gibson

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i finally pulled the trigger as summit had some deals going so i ordered a stainless gibson dual sport exhaust for my tahoe

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was really about the pull the trigger on having a custom setup done as i wanted 45s out both back sides

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Gibson Extreme stainless steel cat-back dual exhaust system, and I really like it. It is loud, though, so it is not for everybody's preferences.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i listened to some videos prior to purchase. i like the sound of my current setup but a bit louder would be nice so the dual sport seemed like the ticket.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please take some photos when your new system arrives, and maybe some of the installation too.

I had a 2002 Blazer ZR2 that I installed a cat back full stainless Gibson on, made that V6 sound like a Jag six.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here is my Gibson info/ review. i finally got the system after waiting 17 days for fedex to get me the exhaust. over a week for them to even attempt to deliver it. anyway....
so as per the instructions that come with the kit it didnt fit quite right and the way i would have preferred. typical crap ubolt exhaust clamps just dont get tight enough and im not about to break them. with the muffler rotated the way the instructions state with the tailpipe slide on the y pipe for the system was being pulled down into the cross member. the tailpipes are not the correct length and dont slide into the muffler correctly. one is bottomed out and the other is only in maybe an 1 1/2. the bolt tab that holds the tailpipes together pulls them together so tightly the tips cant be put in.
so tomorrow i will try to reorient the pipes a bit so i feel better about it. i also have my welder still setup for stainless wire so ill unbolt the tab and weld the tab together in a position the tips can actually be put on.
sound atm ill hold off on my thoughts on the sound until the oil bakes out and its driven for a week maybe for initial break in.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instructions state muffler inlet should be at 6 o'clock and the image of the outlets show them at the bottom of the muffler. so i potentially got shipped the wrong muffler in the kit. as per instructions wording and pictures the inlet and outlet of the muffler should be at the bottom of the muffler. the muffler is offset top and bottom so thats impossible. parts list seemed correct before i started ill double check tomorrow. ill take some pictures and a video tomorrow maybe.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well so far i do like the sound. seems almost the same as my diy thrush setup that i already liked. it might be slightly deeper but pretty sure im losing some hearing on one side. so i can correct the issues with the exhaust myself. i mean no discounts this exhaust is like 650 range so i really wasn't expecting to have to do anything besides put it on.
so would i buy it again no
so far it does sound good
quality is in the middle

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20191228_084039.jpg 20191228_084219.jpg
quick shot of the tips before we head to my dads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal