Replacing "cubby holes" with screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the process itself that I can't quite wrap my mind around. How are you forming the glass? Do you need a mold first, or what?

Pardon my ignorance! I've never even played with the stuff.

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
for the frame you can use wood (MDF), but you need to think in 3d as the fiberglass cloth will stretch over it it, thats how you get those sexy curves.

it is VERY forgiving....you really just need the fiberglass as a good base shape and for something to hold the bondo...you can really fine tune it all with bondo.

also it is sometime easier to fiberglass the whole thing as one big piece (like use a big cloth to cover the whole screen frame and where the screen would be)...the weight of the cloth helps keeps things stable so you can set it just how you want....then it is like butter to cut the cured fiberglass screen area out.

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
i just sold mine a few months ago. its hard for me to say how to i just have to do it. take the black pocked and set the frame for the tv. set the frame on how u want the tv to sit . then wrap it and glue it to the back and resin the t shirt. put like 3 coats of resin on it. then cut out where the tv goes into the frame. i have to look but im sure thats its. or u can send me what u got and for a few bucks i can do it and make a step by step for other lol.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the frame you can use wood (MDF), but you need to think in 3d as the fiberglass cloth will stretch over it it, thats how you get those sexy curves.

it is VERY forgiving....you really just need the fiberglass as a good base shape and for something to hold the bondo...you can really fine tune it all with bondo.

also it is sometime easier to fiberglass the whole thing as one big piece (like use a big cloth to cover the whole screen frame and where the screen would be)...the weight of the cloth helps keeps things stable so you can set it just how you want....then it is like butter to cut the cured fiberglass screen area out.

THAT is what I was missing!!!!!!!!! It all makes sense now!

Thanks fellas!

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ well now YOU need to post a how to with the fiberglass!

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HaHaHa! Touche! I guess I will have to now! I will definitely do my best, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! It's going to take some practice...........and an idea!! (most important part)

As soon as I come up with something, It will take time to perfect it, but if and when I can do those things, I will most definitly post up with pics! I love being able to help others do cool shit!

OP
OP
jmyler

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i'm sure i'll tackle this in the near future as well and be sure to document it well. Does anyone know where i can get another one of those console storage bin pieces so i can cut it and keep the factory one in case i want to replace it one day? I guess a junkyard would be a good place to start but i like sitting on my butt and parts showing up at my door in a couple weeks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali