Replacement Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 Suburban last week at auction. It has what appears to be the original key, and it works it is really worn down. I want to get a spare, but it’ll start out worn. Is 2003 a year that the key can be cut at the dealer using the VIN?

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 Suburban last week at auction. It has what appears to be the original key, and it works it is really worn down. I want to get a spare, but it’ll start out worn. Is 2003 a year that the key can be cut at the dealer using the VIN?

Yes sir. Went to dealer when I got mine. Needed a key for the wife. Gave them vin, he punched that into key machine and it spat out key. Pretty slick.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember that the tumblers in your ignition are also worn down and match the worn grooves on your key. I just went through the same thing with my 2006 Yukon. A local locksmith cut me keys based on my original factory key and they work like normal. I did end up buying new keys from a dealer and having them cut but she recommended just using my factory key so that the new keys matched my ignition tumblers. The dealership can cut your key to your vin, but it’ll be an expensive fee and you have to have proof of ownership with you at the dealership. At least that’s how it works here in California.

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remember that the tumblers in your ignition are also worn down and match the worn grooves on your key. I just went through the same thing with my 2006 Yukon. A local locksmith cut me keys based on my original factory key and they work like normal. I did end up buying new keys from a dealer and having them cut but she recommended just using my factory key so that the new keys matched my ignition tumblers. The dealership can cut your key to your vin, but it’ll be an expensive fee and you have to have proof of ownership with you at the dealership. At least that’s how it works here in California.

Think it cost me $9 at the time. And yes proof of ownership required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop