Replacement boots for steering rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hello all, does anyone know if the rubber accordion style boots on the rack are replaceable? Changing oil today I noticed one side has a cut in the boot.

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Well that was fast @PNW VietVet ! :thumbsup:

Apparently that wasn’t enough a challenge. So what’s the winning lottery numbers next week?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a 'split' boot option (like you can get for CV joint boots), so that a bad steering rack boot can be replaced, without disassembling the entire rack?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You don't have to disassemble the entire rack to get the old boot off and the new boot on. You disconnect the outer tie rod end from the knuckle, mark where the tie rod is threaded on to the inner tie rod and unthread the end, release the boot from end of rack and slide off and reverse the procedure to reinstall. I always recommend a re-align but you can drive it if there are no problems.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ For marking, I would take some orange electrical tape and wrap it behind the tie rod end. Upon re-installing the tie rod you have a rather firm/hard point to stop. I have done this several times and the alignment was still spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11