Replaced my transmission thermostat with a lower temp thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrathell

Reaction score
My 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT with a 165K miles runs great and the transmission works great as well. The temp of the fluid usually hits between 190 - 200 F on a typical day of driving.
In this video I was looking to replace the internals of the thermostat with the kit from Superior Solutions so that the thermostat would open at about 140F instead of about 190F.
The issue I ran into was the transmission thermostat housing wouldn't allow me to open it up to replace the internals due to the effects of Wisconsin salty road conditions in the winter.
I couldn't just purchase a new thermostat because my transmission lines are the older version. Apparently there are two versions on the 2015 models and mine has the earlier version. The earlier version transmission lines will not work with the newer style transmission thermostats.
So I had to replace the entire transmission lines. The good thing was that the new transmission lines comes with a new thermostat attached but the one they sent me didn't have the updated version of the thermostat that opens at about 140 F.
Luckily I already had the kit from Superior Solutions, so I just replaced the internals on the new thermostat with the Superior Solutions kit.

In this video I'm only showing how I replaced the thermostat and the internals of the thermostat. I have a different video where I show me replacing the entire hose/line. This isn't a profession video, it's just me in my garage figuring things out as I did it. Not always the best lighting and camera angles but hopefully enough details in case it can help someone else out :)

Last edited:

TahoeEd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed that same revised thermostat myself about a year ago.
I ordered the new thermal bypass valve (part# 86774933) and plan to put it in my 2019 Tahoe, but I was wondering if I need to buy the seal and O-ring as well. Every parts site I go to, they say they do not fit my vehicle. Does anyone know if they are needed on a 2019?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the new thermal bypass valve (part# 86774933) and plan to put it in my 2019 Tahoe, but I was wondering if I need to buy the seal and O-ring as well. Every parts site I go to, they say they do not fit my vehicle. Does anyone know if they are needed on a 2019?
you shouldn't need anything else
you really do not need to order anything you can get a tap and a bolt at the hardware store and just bypass it entirely, the thing still runs hot even with a lower thermostat, depending on how you drive
I tapped mine, added a deep trans pan and tru cool 40k and thing still hits 180 but atleast it's not 240 anymore, with the stock setup I would hit 220 just going to the store and back

OP
OP
mrathell

mrathell

Reaction score
you shouldn't need anything else
you really do not need to order anything you can get a tap and a bolt at the hardware store and just bypass it entirely, the thing still runs hot even with a lower thermostat, depending on how you drive
I tapped mine, added a deep trans pan and tru cool 40k and thing still hits 180 but atleast it's not 240 anymore, with the stock setup I would hit 220 just going to the store and back

After replacing mine, I'm topping out at about 130 degrees on most of my driving. There was a couple of occasions I hit the 150 mark, but that was during a lot of stop-and-go traffic. Most of my driving is freeway. I'm looking forward to seeing what the temp reach in the summer.

I think it's fair to say, the tran fluid temp reading on the dash most likely increases about 15-20 degrees more after you stop driving before it begins to cool off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After replacing mine, I'm topping out at about 130 degrees on most of my driving. There was a couple of occasions I hit the 150 mark, but that was during a lot of stop-and-go traffic. Most of my driving is freeway. I'm looking forward to seeing what the temp reach in the summer.

I think it's fair to say, the tran fluid temp reading on the dash most likely increases about 15-20 degrees more after you stop driving before it begins to cool off.
I have a pretty heavy foot so my particular style of driving really heats the transmission up it was never a problem on the gmt800's but the gmt900's and k2xx do not like my driving both would hit 220+ previous to modifications. mine will now typically hang around 165 in the summer as long as I am not really pushing it hard, if so then it may still hit 180+ which is perfectly fine for me, winter time it hangs around 145-160, or slightly lower if I am driving like a sane person.

18tahoepremium

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 18 Premier and didn't need anything other than what was supplied in the kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne