Repairing front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff ashworth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so I have replaced the ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pittman arm, and now I have tear the front end back apart to put in the A arm bushings because I didn't see any movement in them and the guy I align it didn't catch it, what it is doing is causing a little play in the steering and when the arm moves it causes it to move one way or the other sometimes bad. so when you have to replace the ball joints not a bad idea to check them.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you confirm what I think you meant? You replaced parts, Did not see control arm bushing play, but still have a "loose steering" problem. What year/configuration is your truck? 97-98 ? Those 2 years had EVO steering a known problem.A few more checks to do: check steering shaft play- 2 people, vise grip on shaft under hood hold vise grip turn steering back n forth. Steering gearbox- turn steering back n forth free play should be less than an inch engine running or not. prefer less than 1/8 inch play at steering wheel. Ride height and caster measurements. more front ride height increases caster. Post what you know we will help diagnose your truck.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am assuming you had the front end steering and suspension checked before you did all this work. Plus, to reference j's question, you should put all your rig info in the signatute so we all know what you are driving. Like j said, there are some differences from year to year that can make a difference in how we respond. C'mon man!