RENAMED!! The adventures of Chase and his 2006 Yukon XL Denali!! Follow along on my travels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I spent the day doing a ceramic coating a clients 2015 Land Rover LR4, nice ride. Anyways had a great day followed by getting ready to head home time and my truck wouldn’t start. Ugh.... I think my starter is toast... again... this damn truck eats starters. This will be the third one I’ll have put in. Partially it isn’t the trucks fault. NAPA makes crappy starters that don’t last... which is why they have a life time warranty. This time around I'm doing the starter myself. Got it pulled out on my own after getting the truck towed home from my clients place. Not a terrible job replacing the starter. But it would have gone so much quicker if I had just listened to the YouTube video and jacked it up, taken the wheel off and pulled back the fender liner first.... the nuts that hold the power wires are in, are in the weirdest possible spot... what was GM thinking with that?! Anyways it was way easier to get them undone and get the starter out after pulling the wheel and fender out. Gonna head to NAPA in the morning to get the starter swapped out and put back in.
well to say at least, it’s an adventure with working on this beast I call the road tank.... lol

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I spent the day doing a ceramic coating a clients 2015 Land Rover LR4, nice ride. Anyways had a great day followed by getting ready to head home time and my truck wouldn’t start. Ugh.... I think my starter is toast... again... this damn truck eats starters. This will be the third one I’ll have put in. Partially it isn’t the trucks fault. NAPA makes crappy starters that don’t last... which is why they have a life time warranty. This time around I'm doing the starter myself. Got it pulled out on my own after getting the truck towed home from my clients place. Not a terrible job replacing the starter. But it would have gone so much quicker if I had just listened to the YouTube video and jacked it up, taken the wheel off and pulled back the fender liner first.... the nuts that hold the power wires are in, are in the weirdest possible spot... what was GM thinking with that?! Anyways it was way easier to get them undone and get the starter out after pulling the wheel and fender out. Gonna head to NAPA in the morning to get the starter swapped out and put back in.
well to say at least, it’s an adventure with working on this beast I call the road tank.... lol
Sucks that you’ve had to do 3 starters. Wow. Glad you’re getting it taken care of though. and for a good price too!

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the hell of it--did you try banging on it first? Just to save yourself a tow. Works majority of the time.
Yup tried that first to no avail. And for the record both times I’ve had to replace the starter before hat trick didn’t work either. Fortunately my mom and I split AAA premium membership every year so I have 150 miles of towing covered and I think 4 or 5 services calls a year. So the tow yesterday didn’t cost me anything or if pocket. It’s the first time I’ve had to have it towed since 2016 when I had it towed to the transmission shop off the mountain.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you think NAPA originally sold you a starter for a 5.3 engine? If they sold you a 5.3 one and it's trying to start your 6.0, maybe that's why you keep having this problem. I know the 4.8/5.3 have a different starter than the 6.0/6.2. You can even hear a big difference between a 5.3 starting and a 6.0 starting.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you think NAPA originally sold you a starter for a 5.3 engine? If they sold you a 5.3 one and it's trying to start your 6.0, maybe that's why you keep having this problem. I know the 4.8/5.3 have a different starter than the 6.0/6.2. You can even hear a big difference between a 5.3 starting and a 6.0 starting.
I don’t think so. I was physically there to tell him I needed one for a 6.0. But apparently I spoke too soon. Had to jump start because battery was dead. Now it cranks but doesn’t start..... dammit.... :banghead: WTF IS WRONG WITH IT NOW.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I’m good at breaking shit..... damn... :banghead:
at some point in the starter install I smashed the starter against the crank position sensor and demolished the wiring harness and the connector going to it so that’s why my truck wouldn’t start. Needless to say that was not a fun adventure.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Apparently I’m good at breaking shit..... damn... :banghead:
at some pint in the starter install I smashed the starter against the crank position sensor and demolished the wiring harness and the connector going to it so that’s why my truck wouldn’t start. Needless to say that was not a fun adventure.
How'd you figure it out? Your buddy the mechanic diagnose it? Had to get another sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA