Removing rear gate trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to pull off the upper trim panel to fix some chipped paint. Does anyone have the plan of attack? I did just buy some trim tools to help.

gidH1Mh.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to pull off the upper trim panel to fix some chipped paint. Does anyone have the plan of attack? I did just buy some trim tools to help.

View attachment 415432
once you have the inside plastic trim off then there are access holes to remove the bolts that hold that trim piece to the rear hatch skin, if you try to just pry it off you will break it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once you have the inside plastic trim off then there are access holes to remove the bolts that hold that trim piece to the rear hatch skin, if try to just pry it off you will break it
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I was going to just try to pry it off with the trim tools.

I found this video that shows the process:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I was going to just try to pry it off with the trim tools.

I found this video that shows the process:
you might not have to remove the wiper motor, from what I saw in the junkyard you might be able to reach in with a small box wrench and get the covered bolts loose that way, then the license plate lights and rear view camera can be disconnected from the trim panel

me88

Reaction score
GM decided to put some strong thread locker on those four small screws that hold the rear applique on. When you unscrew them, the metal square nuts in the applique will turn and ruin the plastic. Luckily there is enough "meat" there to put the square nuts back on with some strong 2-component glue. When reinstalling make sure to put some light-strength thread locker on those four bolts, otherwise they'll loosen up in a couple of weeks. Also make sure that you reinstall the little foam gaskets around the four bolts, water could leak in otherwise.

you might not have to remove the wiper motor, from what I saw in the junkyard you might be able to reach in with a small box wrench and get the covered bolts loose that way, then the license plate lights and rear view camera can be disconnected from the trim panel
That's what I did, I never touched the wiper motor.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM decided to put some strong thread locker on those four small screws that hold the rear applique on. When you unscrew them, the metal square nuts in the applique will turn and ruin the plastic. Luckily there is enough "meat" there to put the square nuts back on with some strong 2-component glue. When reinstalling make sure to put some light-strength thread locker on those four bolts, otherwise they'll loosen up in a couple of weeks. Also make sure that you reinstall the little foam gaskets around the four bolts, water could leak in otherwise.

That's what I did, I never touched the wiper motor.
Thank you for this advice.

I have some blue loctite, which should be fine. I also just received some Rocksett for those pesky high-temp firearm related situations.

When you say two component glue, do you mean some plastic epoxy 2-in-1 schmoo? I suppose I'll know it when I see the damage. I just want to buy some chemicals now before I get into the process. Tia.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this advice.

I have some blue loctite, which should be fine. I also just received some Rocksett for those pesky high-temp firearm related situations.

When you say two component glue, do you mean some plastic epoxy 2-in-1 schmoo? I suppose I'll know it when I see the damage. I just want to buy some chemicals now before I get into the process. Tia.
if those nut post's are known to break I would just use a box wrench on all of them and hold the post with a set of pliers or vice grips while breaking the nut loose

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if those nut post's are known to break I would just use a box wrench on all of them and hold the post with a set of pliers or vice grips while breaking the nut loose

You make a good point. I think some some of them are only accessable with a deep socket, and can't be reached with a vice grip on the top of the threads to stop it from spinning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make a good point. I think some some of them are only accessable with a deep socket, and can't be reached with a vice grip on the top of the threads to stop it from spinning.
from what I saw you should be able to reach them with a grip "if" the wiper motor is removed, otherwise those inner 2 would be a bit tricky the area is tight inside
I have a full set of vice grips from small to large I think the small one would fit
something like these, mine are the more pricey vice-grip brand but these are pretty similar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65