Removing front seats on 02 z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased my first hoe last month, an 02 z71. It is in really good shape I think considering it's 11 years old and has almost 180,000 miles on it. It has been well takin care of by the previous owners. I am wanting to take the front seats out and do some serious interior detailing. After eleven years there is definitely some build up of dust, dirt, food, and anything else you can imagine. I have the correct tools to remove the seats, but i have no clue on how you go about disconnecting the power to them, and in what order you go about this. (I was told by three different people three different ways and none of them agreed on how it was to be done) Will I have to disable the air bags, and disconnect the battery? Also, when removing the seat bolts, is it better to remove the front or rear ones first? I have never removed power seats before. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I'm feeling way dumb here but I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

bstrang6

Reaction score
Before this post I want to mention that I have never done this in a Tahoe, or any newer GM truck. But i have removed seats from probably 10-20 cars, all power, all were very similar.

Leave Battery hooked up if power seats
move seat to extreme ( either forward or back, either first doesnt matter )
Remove bolts exposed ( usually two in the front and two in the back, big ones, probably 3/4)
move seat to other extreme
remove bolts exposed
disconnect battery
tilt seat backwards slowly, with heavy seats its nice to have a friend help, to expose wiring
disconnect the wiring harness ( should be very simple connectors, just a couple of them, probably 8 pin's )

remove seat

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before this post I want to mention that I have never done this in a Tahoe, or any newer GM truck. But i have removed seats from probably 10-20 cars, all power, all were very similar.

Leave Battery hooked up if power seats
move seat to extreme ( either forward or back, either first doesnt matter )
Remove bolts exposed ( usually two in the front and two in the back, big ones, probably 3/4)
move seat to other extreme
remove bolts exposed
disconnect battery
tilt seat backwards slowly, with heavy seats its nice to have a friend help, to expose wiring
disconnect the wiring harness ( should be very simple connectors, just a couple of them, probably 8 pin's )

remove seat

yeah, this is pretty much it.

OP
OP
inkedin1

inkedin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't removed the seats as of yet. They have the side air bags in them, and that is where I am stuck. I went to a upholstery shop yesterday to get an estimate on having the front seats repaired (I have three small tears in one, two in the other) and the estimate was $150.00 for each seat. He said the price was high due to the fact that the seats have to come out. But, on top of that he said that afterwards, the computer will need to be reset and his price does not include resetting it. So, here again, I am still stuck not knowing if I go ahead and remove them myself what problems I may end up having when I get them back in. I have a Chilton Manuel and it tells how to disable and enable the SRS, without saying anything about resetting the computer afterwards. I don't know what to do, it may be a while before I get this project accomplished.

Mr.Martin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine last weekend and I don't have any airbag lights on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts