Removing 3rd row flooring, what to fill recesses with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinyl flooring is unforgiving! Carpet makes up for a multitude of sins..
I couldn't take it anymore. Got some 3/8" thick rubber interlocking floor tiles from home depot. Would have preferred solid rubber, which is easier to cut and not crumbly, but the tiles were cheaper. Should have bought 3/8" to begin with.
C7B17804-C82F-48D2-9D78-B6CD517EA6E0.jpeg
used 3 out of 4 tiles, but still using my old rubber pieces in the seat latch holes. The diamond tread rubber pieces were cut to put over the lower raised ridges. about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. I was hoping they wouldn't be needed, but even those shallow little 1-2" squares (tip of scissor) are VERY noticeable through the jute and 2 layers of vinyl!

Not done in the photo, but u get the idea.

UPDATE: Worth it! Knees feel good! No more wobbling/pain over the ridges. Probably faster and easier to pour some polyurethane, as was recommended, but if you want to play with scissors all day long..

Last edited:

ccole

Reaction score
Great idea on the tile. I filled the concave spots with sound deadening material and closed cell foam. As mentioned previously the carpet I used is more forgiving than vinyl. I used the highest quality automotive carpet from an upholstery shop and it turned out better than expected.

The wife and I have relaxed back there watching the sunset. Rather comfy especially since I used 100% coverage with jute after the sound treatment materials.

Hardcore acoustic treatment of my truck has been one of my favorite upgrades.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but a suggestion for anyone doing a future endeavor like this is to use "casting compound." It's not inexpensive, but will flow and form a level rubber surface, and you can get it in different stiffnesses. If you use a release agent beforehand, it'd be easily removable.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but a suggestion for anyone doing a future endeavor like this is to use "casting compound." It's not inexpensive, but will flow and form a level rubber surface, and you can get it in different stiffnesses. If you use a release agent beforehand, it'd be easily removable.

That's interesting. Wonder if it would do a large area and still be removable.
I miss the old days when the vehicles had a one piece insulated flexible vinyl like floor covering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo