Recs for better MPG pulling trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevereno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife is getting around 22 MPG driving to/from work and errands around town (Houston area) in her Tahoe. No complaints about that at all. However, last weekend we took our new travel trailer out on its maiden voyage and averaged right at 10 MPG. We were on the highway most of the way and mostly flat terrain other than overpasses and such. The trailer's dry weight is about 5800 lbs and with cargo I am guessing we were probably at 6200 lbs or less. The Tahoe had plenty of power for the job, no issues with that. But it would be nice if we could do something that would give better fuel economy during towing. For the short trips where we are only travelling within an hour or two of the house it's no big deal, but when you start talking about longer trips it gets pretty expensive just to get there and back.

Her ride is a 2010 LS with the 5.3L V8, 2WD, 3:42 rear end plus HD towing package. Everything is stock to my knowledge (we just acquired it a few weeks ago).

What mods would you guys suggest and what kind of dollars are we talking for something that would give a reasonable improvement in towing MPG to where we could justify the expense?

njracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to be able to get much better mileage than that. The trailer's overall "size" is the mileage killing factor. I pull a 7x14 race trailer with my 11' Suburban and I avg about 9/10mpg. I'm also pulling substantially less weight than you.

The height and width of the trailer is the mpg killer.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are pushing a lot of drag that creates wind resistance.

I regularly pull a 6000+ lb 22' boat with both my '08 / 5.3 2wd and the '10/6.2/AWD. The best way to get better mileage is to slow down. If I pull the trailers at 60-65 on the interstate I can get close to 10. When I get up to 70, it drops to 7-8 mpg.

OP
OP
S

Stevereno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You guys might be right. The trailer is 28' x 8' and 11'4 at the highest point. The front is rounded to help with aerodynamics somewhat but there is only so much you can do to get around that. I was driving 60-65 MPH most of the time. Speed limit varied from 55-75 depending on which section of highway we were on. I didn't go over 65 much at all.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you certain you are getting 22??

Honestly, pulling that weight you really need a HD pickup. These trucks are not made for this....JMHO

OP
OP
S

Stevereno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you certain you are getting 22??

Honestly, pulling that weight you really need a HD pickup. These trucks are not made for this....JMHO
100% certain? No. Just going by the trip computer for both values. But even if the trip computer is off, the values are still relative from a percentage standpoint.

HD pickup is a non-starter. I have a 90-mile roundtrip commute 5 days per week and my wife has zero interest in driving a pickup. The Tahoe has a rated towing capacity of 8500 lbs with the 3:42 rear end and HD towing package. It was the only realistic option for us to pull a travel trailer in the weight class we bought. HD pickup could be an option later possibly when I am retired or if I changed jobs and worked much closer to home but not practical at all right now.

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have towed around 6000 lbs over 20,000 miles in the past 3 years. 10 MPG is all I get. I got a tune from Blackbear and saw no appreciable change in gas mileage (it did seem to pull better).

I've towed as low as 55 MPH and as fast as 65 MPH and still have not notice much of a difference. Trailer tires max out at 65 MPH so I tend to not go any faster than 65 for very long.

On flat land, you are going to get 10 MPG. In hilly terrain mine goes as low as 8 MPG.

OP
OP
S

Stevereno

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have towed around 6000 lbs over 20,000 miles in the past 3 years. 10 MPG is all I get. I got a tune from Blackbear and saw no appreciable change in gas mileage (it did seem to pull better).

I've towed as low as 55 MPH and as fast as 65 MPH and still have not notice much of a difference. Trailer tires max out at 65 MPH so I tend to not go any faster than 65 for very long.

On flat land, you are going to get 10 MPG. In hilly terrain mine goes as low as 8 MPG.
That's what I was afraid of but thought I would check here anyway.

Thanks.

Stein2088

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can avoid it don't fill up your clear "fresh" water tank until you get to where you are going. Also if you can drain your gray water before you head home... I agree with everyone the size is what is killing you but at the very least less weight = less wear on your car

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigmurdock