Rear seating has poor design for legs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I like my 2001.

I hate the 3rd row design that your legs are in your nose because the seats sit so close to floor.

I thought I saw models with that issue changed and have been looking again and can't find them.

We're taking maybe getting another tahoe or yukon but the lack of head protection in 2nd row bench and then 3rd row poor comfort is an issue now as kids are older and tall.

Captains chairs are nice but then u need to use the 3rd row more and then ya get those issues.

Any models with intelligence that protects everyone's whiplash heads and 3rd row actually sits comfortably?

I can't find it. And I can't go new..no $$ for that

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s not enough headroom back there for taller seats. Right behind the second row the floor is higher to fit things like the fuel tank and spare tire under there.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 2021 gives a lot more leg room for the 3rd row because the switch to an independent suspension allows the deck to be lower.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a summary of the year to year changes here:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/model-changes-leading-up-to-2021.118575/

I didn't put in the 3rd row, but I do have the 2nd row leg and head room. Head room didn't change much over the years, all within an inch. I wouldn't expect head room to improve for the 3rd row either. Where there is a bigger change is in the 2nd row leg room. Up to 2020, leg room was all within an inch (38-39"). In 2020, this gets significantly bigger, 42".

What has baffled me is that over the years, the Tahoe has gotten quite a bit longer. The NBS was 16' 5" which will fit in my garage, barely, allowing me to do extended repairs (like my rear main oil seal). The NNBS went to 16'10", and the 2015-2020 grew to 17'10", over a foot longer than my Tahoe. But, 2nd row extra leg room!!!!

The 2021 gains a whole extra foot to be 2 feet longer than the NBS Tahoe, at 18'10", to gain 3" of 2nd row leg room. Most of the gain I believe is in the cargo, and I don't know how much is gained in the 3rd row. But with the longer length, I assume that the third row now sits off the rear wheel well hump.

I'd wait to see a 2021 model if possible.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have captains chairs in my 2012 and it's very easy to access the 3rd row, it's not a lot of room but it works and I am 6'4

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have captains chairs in my 2012 and it's very easy to access the 3rd row, it's not a lot of room but it works and I am 6'4
Suppose I get a unit with captains chairs that allows good access to 3rd row. Then the 3rd row person still has their knees up....no way around that, correct?

My hope was a newer unit had lower floor.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My buddy’s 04 Yukon short wheel base with barn doors has my wife and I sitting with our heads rubbing the headliner in the 2nd row. We’re both 6’3”. Our 06 Denali XL w/ Capt seating had the same sitch, but only in the 3rd row. 2nd row was great for 6’+ passengers.

Chevy & GMC are going to plant the I6 turbo diesel they introduced in the 1500 truck this year in the Tahoe, Burb & Yukon soon. It’s the LM2 277 /460 tq 3.0L monster that gets 23 / 30 MPG. I’d wait for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suppose I get a unit with captains chairs that allows good access to 3rd row. Then the 3rd row person still has their knees up....no way around that, correct?

My hope was a newer unit had lower floor.
the floor (foot area) is the same height on my xl there just isn't much foot space

Reaction score
Yeah, the Suburbans or XL's floor doesn't slope upward behind the 2nd row, it stays flat. The 3rd row is back a few more inches and actually has a foot well in front of it

Steve Waddington

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get one that has captains chairs for second row... then whoever sits in the third row can stretch out their legs between the captains chairs!
You’re welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev