Rear Seat Entertainment System Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justdanorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got my 21 Yukon Denali 3.0
loving everything about it - but the rear entertainment system - it locks/freezes up after one touch “command”. And then the screen will stay on, even after ignition is turned off.
Is there a secret tech menu to access to “reboot” the system?
Ive tried powering off and on again with the front screen, but the rear screens become unresponsive.
after the vehicle has been off for a few hours, it turns back off and then a double tap will turn it back on, but then it’s locked again.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if no one wants to chime in I'll give it a try. I'm no expert, but I've got mine working ok. What are you trying to do? Movies on USB stick, phone screen casting, HDMI connection, music files, rear seat navigation? Mine was similarly unresponsive until I tried mirroring my phone, which seemed to work fine. Then it took me a few tries to get movies on USB sticks to work. Found out anything beyond FAT 32 formatting just wouldn't be recognized by the system. Still have a few glitches on some movies using the USB connections such as sound w/o video and vice versa. Haven't done more than experiment with the HDMI connections, since I probably won't use it much, but it seems to work if I connect the source (such as a hand held game) to one of the USB connections in the front of the console. There doesn't seem to be enough power in the USB-C connectors in the rear of the console to power the game if it is using the HDMI for display. It's all a work in progress for me.

Your screens may remain on for a few minutes after the ignition is off if you don't open a door, similar to your radio or other accessories. I've not experienced the rear screens staying on with the ignition off and exiting the vehicle. Hope this helps. Let us know of your progress.

OP
OP
J

justdanorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well if no one wants to chime in I'll give it a try. I'm no expert, but I've got mine working ok. What are you trying to do? Movies on USB stick, phone screen casting, HDMI connection, music files, rear seat navigation? Mine was similarly unresponsive until I tried mirroring my phone, which seemed to work fine. Then it took me a few tries to get movies on USB sticks to work. Found out anything beyond FAT 32 formatting just wouldn't be recognized by the system. Still have a few glitches on some movies using the USB connections such as sound w/o video and vice versa. Haven't done more than experiment with the HDMI connections, since I probably won't use it much, but it seems to work if I connect the source (such as a hand held game) to one of the USB connections in the front of the console. There doesn't seem to be enough power in the USB-C connectors in the rear of the console to power the game if it is using the HDMI for display. It's all a work in progress for me.

Your screens may remain on for a few minutes after the ignition is off if you don't open a door, similar to your radio or other accessories. I've not experienced the rear screens staying on with the ignition off and exiting the vehicle. Hope this helps. Let us know of your progress.
I appreciate you chiming in - it was getting a bit lonely here ;)

I would love to try all of that - sadly it's not a matter of what feature I am trying to do - it won't let me doing anything at all. After turning the screens on with a double tap, they become completely unresponsive - I can't even turn them back off. No touch will make anything happen. I can't touch any buttons at all. It just locks up.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you chiming in - it was getting a bit lonely here ;)

I would love to try all of that - sadly it's not a matter of what feature I am trying to do - it won't let me doing anything at all. After turning the screens on with a double tap, they become completely unresponsive - I can't even turn them back off. No touch will make anything happen. I can't touch any buttons at all. It just locks up.
I guess my point is, you must have a source for the system to respond to. If you're sitting in the driveway with no source, (USB, game, blu-ray, phone, FireStick, or whatever), you won't get a response, because the system has nothing to respond to. Have you tried letting spouse or someone else drive, while you see if the Nav function works on the RSE? That might tell you if the system is really not working at all.

Maybe I'm not explaining very well, but hopefully there's a clue there somewhere that might help.

OP
OP
J

justdanorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand what you mean - but I can't even touch the power button, settings button, navigation - nothing is responding - the system is locking up/freezing immediately and becoming unresponsive. Even if someone else is driving or if parked. Just completely unresponsive.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if it's not even recognizing the Nav function, you'll probably need to see your dealer. Maybe they'll have someone who's played with these systems a little bit. At worst they can get tech help from GM easier than you can. Good luck.

Mike Diaferio

Reaction score
Call the GM Center and have them connect you to their tech dept. that handles that. You may need to have a new download to update your system or repair a glitch you may be experiencing. My works fine. Because of my young daughter, I have a hot spot through OnStar and use a Roku stick which she gets our Netflix, Disney +, You Tube, etc without any problems at all. It actually is quite a robust system. The only USB stuff I have used is music I have stored and that works fine also. I hope this helps. Good luck!

2019YukonXLowner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would take it back to dealer. I had a more involved issue than you’re describing, but it could be something with your “serial data module.” Mine went completely out so my radio wouldn’t turn off & my entire electrical system wigged out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard A