Rear lift glass and wiper 2011 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindquist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently our rear glass quit opening. It won't open with the fob or the button on rear hatch. Then it was raining and the rear wiper doesn't work either. I checked for power at the wires going into the wiper motor and I had 12.4 v. I checked the wiper arm to see if it was stuck and it snapped right off. Now when I try to open glass with the fob the wiper motor spins 360° about 2xs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear wiper motor has a park position... if the wiper motor is not in that position the rear glass will not function....

trottida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a little late but in case someone references this post in the future. In the OP's case the wiper motor works (because it moves still) but the attached wiper transmission is broken. It's all part of the same assembly.

The transmission is the part that makes the wiper move in both directions and places the wiper in the park position. The rear glass release will not work if the wiper transmission senses the wiper is not in the home position. In order to replace the motor/transmission assembly you have to take the interior hatch panel off. To take the interior panel off you need to open the rear window to remove 2 pins. It's a bit of a conundrum.

It is resolved by unfastening the interior panel at the bottom, middle and sides and reaching up and manually pushing the window latch open so you can remove the pins and take the interior panel off completely. Refer to the circled part in the attached photo of the latch mechanism.

I just went through all this and it's not really well documented outside of how to replace the window wiper motor assembly. I didn't understand the relationship between the window motor and glass release but figured it out eventually. I had bought a used wiper motor assembly from a pick n pull which turned out had a bad motor and a good transmission. While the motor didn't work, at least the inoperative glass latch issue was resolved. In the end I moved the transmission to my good motor and was able to resolve my inoperative rear wiper and glass release for $31 CAD and a few hours.

1664815156010.png

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little late but in case someone references this post in the future. In the OP's case the wiper motor works (because it moves still) but the attached wiper transmission is broken. It's all part of the same assembly.

The transmission is the part that makes the wiper move in both directions and places the wiper in the park position. The rear glass release will not work if the wiper transmission senses the wiper is in the home position. In order to replace the motor/transmission assembly you have to take the interior hatch panel off. To take the interior panel off you need to open the rear window to remove 2 pins. It's a bit of a conundrum.

It is resolved by unfastening the interior panel at the bottom, middle and sides and reaching up and manually pushing the window latch open so you can remove the pins and take the interior panel off completely. Refer to the circled part in the attached photo of the latch mechanism.

I just went through all this and it's not really well documented outside of how to replace the window wiper motor assembly. I didn't understand the relationship between the window motor and glass release but figured it out eventually. I had bought a used wiper motor assembly from a pick n pull which turned out had a bad motor and a good transmission. While the motor didn't work, at least the inoperative glass latch issue was resolved. In the end I moved the transmission to my good motor and was able to resolve my inoperative rear wiper and glass release for $31 CAD and a few hours.

View attachment 381902
Thank you for following up on this thread with a viable solution!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts