Rear HVAC freon smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Been awhile since I posted on here. Tahoe has been great other than a leaking oil pan gasket and now the current problem I am having. The HVAC front and rear function as they should. The only problem I am having is I get a freon smell anytime I turn on the rear air. As soon as I turn rear off the smell goes away within seconds. I don't have a great understanding of how the rear and front hvac are connected so excuse my ignorance on the subject. Has anyone had this particular problem before? Thanks again for the help.

Vehicle info

2011 Tahoe LS
4x4 Heavy duty tow package
Premium smooth ride suspension package

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You are not smelling refrigerant/freon. If you could actually smell it, it would be a leak that would leak to a low enough pressure level quickly and the systems would not "function as they should". You may be smelling mold and may have a rear a/c evaporator drain problem.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on if it was freon then it wouldn't be working correctly. It sure smells like freon though but now that you mention it it very well could be mold. I will check the evaporator drain and go from there. I appreciate everybody's help so far. I will report back if I find anything.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked the front and rear drains. No water is coming out of either but I'm pretty sure its due to the dew point is below the evaporator temp. Took the side panel off in the rear cargo area and took a peak at one side of the evaporator. Clean as can be. The air coming out was very cold as expected. Smell a faint freon odor or mold near the blower but not coming directly out of the duct closest to the blower. I do smell it more coming from the vents in the headliner. I will continue to run it more often to try and get rid of the smell.