Rear HVAC control module issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutch123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 tahoe z71 with the automatic and auxiliary control rear HVAC. So I've been fighting the dreaded HVAC control module issue for awhile now.
About a year ago I noticed that the rear heat wasnt working in the rear. Popper off the body pieces and noticed the ole blend door actuator wasnt doing anything. I didnt troubleshoot the HVAC control module or the actuator I just replaced the actuator with. NEW aftermarket and replaced the Control Module with a USED one off ebay. Problem fixed. About 10-12 months later I had the same problem again. No big deal, I figured the control module was bad again, (after all it was a used part from the same year vehicle as my own.) Buy another used one from ebay, pop it in. NO DICE. I check the actuator out. I can jump it and it turns no problem but I get no voltage change on the signal wire. (Yellow) so I think my new used part is bad. I send it back and order a NEW doorman control module off amazon. It shows up and I have the same issue. I went to test the actuator again and accidently touched the signal wire and fried the new control module. So I've ordered a new part but before it gets here what else can I check? I jump the actuator to turn it to heat and unplugged it so we have heat but I really want to figure it out lol! Is there some kind of recalibration process or something I'm missing? I know one of these days I'm going to break one of these plastic clips taking this interior apart so many times!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.. either disconnect battery or all HVAC fuses and all actuators in the vehicle will recalibrate. Dont touch any HVAC control for 2 to 4 mins while this occurs. Not even fan speed.

Before u do that. Set the rear fan on the lowest speed so the system is already set on when u reconnect the battery.

Hopefully u didnt short out anything else. Check all your fuses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hutch123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Everything else looks and works fine I think. I think the module took the brunt of it. (I know rookie move)
So I'm going to do this.
1. Disconnect battery
2. Using the controls up front (for the rear) set the fan to lowest setting and air temp to heat??
3. Reconnect battery, start the engine, and touch nothing for itleast 4 minutes?
4. Then change the temperature to test after 4 minutes?

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything else looks and works fine I think. I think the actuator took the brunt of it. (I know rookie move)
So I'm going to do this.
1. Disconnect battery
2. Using the controls up front (for the rear) set the fan to lowest setting and air temp to heat??
3. Reconnect battery, start the engine, and touch nothing for itleast 4 minutes?
4. Then change the temperature to test after 4 minutes?

Yup thats it pretty much.

All actuators will recalibrate themselves during this process.
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hutch123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are the man. I will let you know how it goes.

Benny P LeBoeuf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 tahoe z71 with the automatic and auxiliary control rear HVAC. So I've been fighting the dreaded HVAC control module issue for awhile now.
About a year ago I noticed that the rear heat wasnt working in the rear. Popper off the body pieces and noticed the ole blend door actuator wasnt doing anything. I didnt troubleshoot the HVAC control module or the actuator I just replaced the actuator with. NEW aftermarket and replaced the Control Module with a USED one off ebay. Problem fixed. About 10-12 months later I had the same problem again. No big deal, I figured the control module was bad again, (after all it was a used part from the same year vehicle as my own.) Buy another used one from ebay, pop it in. NO DICE. I check the actuator out. I can jump it and it turns no problem but I get no voltage change on the signal wire. (Yellow) so I think my new used part is bad. I send it back and order a NEW doorman control module off amazon. It shows up and I have the same issue. I went to test the actuator again and accidently touched the signal wire and fried the new control module. So I've ordered a new part but before it gets here what else can I check? I jump the actuator to turn it to heat and unplugged it so we have heat but I really want to figure it out lol! Is there some kind of recalibration process or something I'm missing? I know one of these days I'm going to break one of these plastic clips taking this interior apart so many times!

https://www.silveradosierra.com/how...-trucks-hvac-control-unit-t77522.html#p850002

OP
OP
H

Hutch123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
installed the new one and did the reset and it works. Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts