Rear Fox Shock Orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Fox 2.0 gas shocks for the rear of my 2009 Tahoe.

I have installed these with the body towards the frame and the stem towards the axel. The instructions did not really say how the orientation of these shocks should be installed on a Tahoe. However, the OEM shocks were in the opposite orientation with the stem towards the frame, and I have seen mixed results for Fox and other after-market shocks searching on Google.

For the FOX 2.0 Rear Gas Shock, is my current orientation (body towards the frame and stem towards axel) ok, or should these be flipped around? Is there any reason why my current orientation will be bad?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post a photo of the shock installation. As the saying goes, a picture is worth 1,000 words.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picture of my current orientation of the Fox shocks

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_152614753.jpg
    PXL_20220423_152614753.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 20

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did your written instructions have a statement such as shown below? (These instructions may not apply to your shocks.)

Fox.JPG

Dad quote: "If nothing else works, read the instructions."

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your written instructions have a statement such as shown below? (These instructions may not apply to your shocks.)

View attachment 368702

Dad quote: "If nothing else works, read the instructions."
Thanks for this.

I did not get those instructions with the shocks. I have instructions from BDS Suspension, which covers installing the bushings but neglects to say what orientation these should be installed on the vehicle. I don't have any clearance issues with the way I have the shocks mounted now, but I don't know for sure if this is the correct way they need to be installed.

Do you or anyone else know if the rear shock orientation matters to the Tahoe design?

Anyway, I have messages out to both BDS and Fox, too, but want to get real-life experience from users on this forum.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it doesn't matter but like mine the factory way. I reckon the tube is more resistant to damage or getting bent, better to leave the skinny part higher up and better protected.

Imagine sitting or traversing water or mud for a distance, driving off-road or through a riot, there's less chance for the seal to fail because of debris or water the OE way.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I did eventually find something that said with Fox 2.0 shocks these can be mounted with the body up or down depending on clearances and personal preference.

However, I will still wait for responses from BDS and Fox to be sure and still would like more real-life experiences from people using these shocks.

@swathdiver you make a great point!

I may switch them around later, but I just want to make sure I was not f-ing them up with my current orientation

Marshall 008

Reaction score
Body up just as you have it in your picture. While looking at your picture, you may want to add some adjustable or longer sway bar end links. Something like these depending on how long you need them. You will need to measure the distance with your sway bar as close to level as possible. The ones below bolt right into the factory locations.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body up just as you have it in your picture. While looking at your picture, you may want to add some adjustable or longer sway bar end links. Something like these depending on how long you need them. You will need to measure the distance with your sway bar as close to level as possible. The ones below bolt right into the factory locations.

Thanks. The terflex 12.25 actually worked perfect for me, but will keep these in mid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons