Rear doors/windows/speaker questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all.

So I am going through getting the rear passenger area squared away (windows, door locks, speakers). I have researched as best as I can on here and other sites, about how to get the everything working again in the rear.

Here's what I have noticed:

1. The driver controls seem to be able to lock the rear doors, but not unlock them. I can hear the actuator when the lock button is pressed, but nothing when I try to unlock.
2. The rear interior door handles were detached from the cable that goes to the actuator.
3. The window switches had tape over the contacts. I have removed the tape and cleaned up the contacts, but that did not do anything.
4. When I try to roll-up the rear windows using the rear switch, I can hear the window motor do something. If I try to roll the window down, nothing happens. Same from the driver controls.
5. The rods from the lock actuator to the manual lock knob are missing.
6. All the wiring seems to be intact.
7. Rear speaker is not working but the rear tweeters work.
8. My Autel can talk to the BCM but I get the same results when I try to do any of the same functions as above.
9. Child lock does not appear to be enabled.

Given that, would you think the BCM is the culprit to the current issues? Do I need a Tech 2 or a VCX Nano to go through the BCM to turn the features back on?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Fester513

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone tried resetting the BCM or ECM to factory defaults? If so, did it work or help in any way? If it did work, can the procedure be posted or a link shown.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried resetting the BCM or ECM to factory defaults? If so, did it work or help in any way? If it did work, can the procedure be posted or a link shown.
There's no switch or buttons to reset the computers. They have to be programmed again through ACDelco's TDS system.

What's the matter?

@JTS197 Did you ever get answers to these questions or get them resolved?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

So I am going through getting the rear passenger area squared away (windows, door locks, speakers). I have researched as best as I can on here and other sites, about how to get the everything working again in the rear.

1. The driver controls seem to be able to lock the rear doors, but not unlock them. I can hear the actuator when the lock button is pressed, but nothing when I try to unlock.
2. The rear interior door handles were detached from the cable that goes to the actuator.
3. The window switches had tape over the contacts. I have removed the tape and cleaned up the contacts, but that did not do anything.
4. When I try to roll-up the rear windows using the rear switch, I can hear the window motor do something. If I try to roll the window down, nothing happens. Same from the driver controls.
8. My Autel can talk to the BCM but I get the same results when I try to do any of the same functions as above.

Given that, would you think the BCM is the culprit to the current issues? Do I need a Tech 2 or a VCX Nano to go through the BCM to turn the features back on?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
no, you should troubleshoot more first, this means applying 12v directly to door locks and windows to verify operation, then proceed from there.
it's not uncommon for the regulator or motor to be bad and if you determine the motor is bad, I would not recommend aftermarket window motors they are plastic junk, source some new ones or used from a junk yard or ebay.
rear speaker wires are often cut inside the pillar between the front & rear doors
lock rods can be sourced from a junkyard, if you get a lucky there may be new oem around, check with a dealer
most likely if there was no communication to the locks or windows it would give a open circuit error or no communication error or nothing would happen when commanded.

Fester513

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's no switch or buttons to reset the computers. They have to be programmed again through ACDelco's TDS system.

What's the matter?

@JTS197 Did you ever get answers to these questions or get them resolved?
I am just going through the same issues as everyone else thats trying to civilianize and wondered if that reset would help some of the issues.

OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Thanks for some suggestions - I am still working on some of the issues.

I have been busy replacing most of the ball joints/cv axles up front. Even with 11k miles on it, most of the rubber was showing its age.

Currently:

For the rear windows, I ended up buying new switches and now I can open/close the windows from all switches.

I bought the lock rods from a junkyard and got that squared away.

As for the BCM, I bought a "re-programmed" BCM on Ebay and that did not fix anything (I was able to return it).

I am not sure if this is new, or I missed it, but the driver controls/remote fob cannot lock/unlock the front doors. I can lock the rear doors, but unlock still does not work. I am kind of leaning towards replacing one of the actuators to see if that will fix one of the doors.

I also bought a used driver control panel, thinking this might be similar to the rear window switch problem, but that didn't fix anything as well.

OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone else who might have issues with the door locks not opening, mine seems to be the actuator (at least the driver's side). There is a lot of dust on the inside of the doors, and I imagine with the dust (and the age) all of the actuators are shot.

That was not the only thing that was shot; any guesses here as to what also got replaced? :rolleyes:

PXL_20231103_210845258.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone else who might have issues with the door locks not opening, mine seems to be the actuator (at least the driver's side). There is a lot of dust on the inside of the doors, and I imagine with the dust (and the age) all of the actuators are shot.

That was not the only thing that was shot; any guesses here as to what also got replaced? :rolleyes:

View attachment 413963
what was wrong with the steering column? I take it you didn't get lucky and find a matching trim piece for the dic switch?

OP
OP
JTS197

JTS197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what was wrong with the steering column? I take it you didn't get lucky and find a matching trim piece for the dic switch?
Steering position sensor was bad. I was getting a Stabilitrak warning every time I moved the wheel left or right. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on this forum but this is the part# that works:

PXL_20231103_220757690.jpg

As for the dic switch trim, yep I couldn't find a matching piece (for a reasonable price). I ended up getting a wood grain piece that I am going to vinyl wrap.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering position sensor was bad. I was getting a Stabilitrak warning every time I moved the wheel left or right. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it on this forum but this is the part# that works:

View attachment 413987

As for the dic switch trim, yep I couldn't find a matching piece (for a reasonable price). I ended up getting a wood grain piece that I am going to vinyl wrap.
it's not a real common part to fail but it happens, luckily using a scanner to get the code usually points you right at the problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts