Rear diff- 2015 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtower97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Want to change the fluid in the rear. There is a cross brace going right behind the cover. Is there enough room to shimmy the cover out and off without removing that cross brace? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that "cross bar" that you are looking at the sway bar? It drops down easy, four bolts.

OP
OP
J

jtower97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out pulling the full plug and pumping it out is MUCH quicker. Completed in 15 minutes. Refilled with almost 3 quarts so I got it all out.

What I didn’t realize until I was done - I used Mobil one synthetic, but it has limited slip modifier in it. I’m guessing it’ll be ok. It’s what’s in the front diff as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out pulling the full plug and pumping it out is MUCH quicker. Completed in 15 minutes. Refilled with almost 3 quarts so I got it all out.

What I didn’t realize until I was done - I used Mobil one synthetic, but it has limited slip modifier in it. I’m guessing it’ll be ok. It’s what’s in the front diff as well.

3 quarts? Doesn't GM specify different viscosities for the front and rear differentials?

OP
OP
J

jtower97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear holds 2.75 quarts.
Yes they are different. I meant same brand. And both had LS
75/85 in back. 75/90 In front.

UFBeef

Reaction score
Want to change the fluid in the rear. There is a cross brace going right behind the cover. Is there enough room to shimmy the cover out and off without removing that cross brace? Anyone know?

Just out of curiousity, how many bolts on the diff cover? 10?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz