2002 Tahoe z71 rear diff question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only 4wd car I’ve had before was a G-wagon with lockable TC, front diff and rear diff. So that’s basically what I’m used to. And this 2wd/4wd on the Tahoe means the TC will lock (bad way of explaining since there is no TC diff but) when I engage 4wd, right? So it’s basically like driving the G with the TC diff locked and that’s what’s causing the (imo quite brutal) binding when being in 4wd, correct?
Yes exactly. The Gwagon has a different awd/4wd system than these vehicles. You do not want to use 4wd unless it is absolutely needed. These have a positive engagement TC all the time. They don't have a lockable center diff.
Very old versions of these had the 4hi and 4hi lock cases. But not any more, once you are in 4wd you are locked.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not want to use 4WD, unless it is absolutely needed.
Note that I've also an '02 Tahoe Z71 4WD; see my sig.

I won't consider pressing 'Auto 4WD' unless it's raining pretty hard.
I won't consider pressing '4WD High' unless it's snowing.
I won't consider pressing '4WD Low' unless '4WD High' isn't enough to get me unstuck.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that I've also an '02 Tahoe Z71 4WD; see my sig.

I won't consider pressing 'Auto 4WD' unless it's raining pretty hard.
I won't consider pressing '4WD High' unless it's snowing.
I won't consider pressing '4WD Low' unless '4WD High' isn't enough to get me unstuck.
Auto 4wd arms 4wd. The Tcase is then magnetically engaged into 4wd by locking the clutches when the PCM sees different wheel speeds that would indicate wheel slippage. So even though its in Auto4WD, it is not in 4wd until all the other magic mentioned happens.
Our 4wd system (NP246/NP246E) doesnt much care about being in 4wd in a straight line. It is in turns on dry pavement when you get wheel hop and binding in 4wd.
Ive never used 4wd low on the road because it is geared way low! I have put my vehicles in 4wd low just playing around off road and thats how I found out exactly how low it is geared.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto 4WD arms 4WD.
The Tcase is then magnetically engaged into 4WD by locking the clutches when the PCM sees different wheel speeds that would indicate wheel slippage.
So even though it's in Auto 4WD, it is not in 4WD until all the other magic mentioned happens.
This is mostly true, but there's a caveat:
Being in Auto 4WD gets slightly worse MpG than 2WD, EVEN if it turns out to never have actually driven the front wheels.
Still, I totally get your point.
Our 4WD system (NP246/NP246E) doesn't much care about being in 4WD in a straight line.
It is in turns on dry pavement when you get wheel hop and binding in 4WD.
How much power would be needed for AWD to be an advantage in drag racing over RWD? ...
I've never used 4WD Low on the road because it is geared way too low!
I have put my vehicles in 4WD Low just playing around off road and thats how I found out exactly how low it is geared.
There is a distinct possibility that I may never need to use 4WD Low, and I will not be sorry if I never do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar