Rear Carrier and R&P....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShaginWagon

Reaction score
So, been doing a little bit of research on these rear diffs exploding. I have little knowledge of diffs, gears, etc. I’m interested in re-gearing the rear and possibly upgrading the carrier to a limited slip or something more quality. I have a leveling kit, 33s and I seem to have lost a little bit of giddy up. I maintain it religiously and just seem to be missing that extra little bit. I seem to have to ALWAYS get my foot down to make her move sometimes. New trans within the last year, healthy 5.3. 2wd. What ratio should I be looking at? Carrier? It’s just a daily I’m trying to build bulletproof. May add some extra ponies in the future but I just want some quality and pep. What do gents?

OP
OP
ShaginWagon

ShaginWagon

Reaction score
Might go with a 3.73 gear in a 9.5" 14 bolt semi float axle. Try to break it then, I dare ya.

Is the 3.73 gear have advantages over other options? I don’t want to trash my gas mileage anymore than it already is. Is that sufficient for tire size and etc?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You switched to bigger tires and that helped with the feeling of loss of power. I have 3.73 gears with stock tires and my Tahoe runs great when I romp on it. Your fuel mileage suffered a little with the bigger tires but not so much. I think you may have a 3.42 gear or even higher, like a 3.08 gear. The fuel mileage will suffer just a bit but if you do the 3.73 gear it should wake up the engine a bit. Look at your RPO codes on the glove compartment cover and see what GT or GU code you have. A GU4 is 3.08 gears, a GU6 is a 3.42 gear, a GT4 is a 3.73 gear and a GT5 is a 4.10 gear.