1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Carrier and R&P....

Discussion in 'Performance' started by ShaginWagon, Mar 26, 2020.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. ShaginWagon

ShaginWagon Member

Name:
    Austin
    So, been doing a little bit of research on these rear diffs exploding. I have little knowledge of diffs, gears, etc. I’m interested in re-gearing the rear and possibly upgrading the carrier to a limited slip or something more quality. I have a leveling kit, 33s and I seem to have lost a little bit of giddy up. I maintain it religiously and just seem to be missing that extra little bit. I seem to have to ALWAYS get my foot down to make her move sometimes. New trans within the last year, healthy 5.3. 2wd. What ratio should I be looking at? Carrier? It’s just a daily I’m trying to build bulletproof. May add some extra ponies in the future but I just want some quality and pep. What do gents?

2. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    Might go with a 3.73 gear in a 9.5" 14 bolt semi float axle. Try to break it then, I dare ya.

wjburken likes this.
  3. ShaginWagon

ShaginWagon Member

Name:
    Austin

Is the 3.73 gear have advantages over other options? I don’t want to trash my gas mileage anymore than it already is. Is that sufficient for tire size and etc?

4. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    You switched to bigger tires and that helped with the feeling of loss of power. I have 3.73 gears with stock tires and my Tahoe runs great when I romp on it. Your fuel mileage suffered a little with the bigger tires but not so much. I think you may have a 3.42 gear or even higher, like a 3.08 gear. The fuel mileage will suffer just a bit but if you do the 3.73 gear it should wake up the engine a bit. Look at your RPO codes on the glove compartment cover and see what GT or GU code you have. A GU4 is 3.08 gears, a GU6 is a 3.42 gear, a GT4 is a 3.73 gear and a GT5 is a 4.10 gear.

ShaginWagon likes this.
  5. Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540 Full Access Member

Name:
    Dan
    If you want to be able to do a burnout then 4.10s :burnout:

ShaginWagon likes this.