Rear brakes driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I have a 2002 tahoe z71 I've owned it for theee years now. When I purchased it I replaced all the brakes and the rear calipers rear hoses and rotors. I did all that to the rear cause they seemed to be sticking. Everything seems ok for awhile but about 8 or 9 months later I had to replace pads again. Now exactly a year after the second pad replacement I'm changing pads again. The abs light is on and the culprit seems to be the abs board. I tried to remove it the other day and the last torx head stripped. I'm going to attempt to cut a slot in it with a Dremel to get it out. That way I can resolder the points on the board. Could the abs malfunction be causing the rear pads to wear out so frequently? I'm still on the front pads I installed on the first brake job I did. They look great with not much wear. Any help would be appreciated hopefully I've explained it clear enough. Thanks.

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how the ABS could cause that. Sometimes you can get an ABS light when a speed sensor goes, or the brakes are so worn out they don't stop properly. I recently had a caliper lock up on me. Turned out to be the grease. Was jamming up the pins and retaining clips! I switched to Syl Glyde and the problem went away.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made sure the last time it was apart I greased it all good but I'll double check. Im at a loss

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I do find that the calipers move freely what else could be causing this issue. Like I said hoses and calipers were replaced about 2 and half years ago.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wel found what appears to be the issue. I took the passenger side apart everything looked fine. Moved to the driver side and found one of the clips the pads go in was broke. Letting the pad sit crooked and caused it to wear at an angle. What pisses me off is I paid good money for somone to do it last time cause I didn't have time to do it. At least it was simple but nonetheless aggravating.

IMG_1534.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65