Ready for camping...show your pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

zxlr88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh man that thing isn't even close to capacity! Bet it fills excellent. I've seen about 30k on a SRW lol

This is why I asked -it is not the truck that can't handle the weight. It is the tires are at their limit at 17,100 lbs for a crew cab 4wd SRW. If you consider 16k the dry weight, some of those specific trailers can hold 160 gallons of water. That puts you at 17600 just to start. Where I live, camper and 5th wheels guys get a bad name for causing accidents on mountain passes because they are overloaded and they did not know it. If a tire goes coming down an 8% grade, a simple metal retaining rail is not going to stop your 25k lb rig going off the edge or worse involve other motorists in the accident. We all love camping and getting out, but max trailer weight is only one part of the equation. If you decide to put a generator in the bed or haul 5 passengers, you could easily be over in payload. Manufacturers put in safety buffers, but I am not one to take that kind of risk with my family and educating others on the road is important. Last year, we had a family of 5 get killed in a similar situation. Food for thought.:)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 42

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I asked -it is not the truck that can't handle the weight. It is the tires are at their limit at 17,100 lbs for a crew cab 4wd SRW. If you consider 16k the dry weight, some of those specific trailers can hold 160 gallons of water. That puts you at 17600 just to start. Where I live, camper and 5th wheels guys get a bad name for causing accidents on mountain passes because they are overloaded and they did not know it. If a tire goes coming down an 8% grade, a simple metal retaining rail is not going to stop your 25k lb rig going off the edge or worse involve other motorists in the accident. We all love camping and getting out, but max trailer weight is only one part of the equation. If you decide to put a generator in the bed or haul 5 passengers, you could easily be over in payload. Manufacturers put in safety buffers, but I am not one to take that kind of risk with my family and educating others on the road is important. Last year, we had a family of 5 get killed in a similar situation. Food for thought.:)

I award you all the points for today. Thank you.

On top of everything just said, just consider how some people buy tires...

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, we are going to buy a TT. Looking at a Sunset Trail Super Lite ST270BH. Dry weight of around 5300lb.

A '15 Suburban with Max Tow package handle this with no issues, right? Does the auto level system really keep the back end up? No need for airbags?

I'm pretty sure current rig, a 07 Durango rated at 7200lb, could handle it but will need airbags and a trailer brake controller. Tempted to buy a new Burb Z71 and go into serious debt in one day! lol

rmcclean12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got back from our "Maiden Voyage" in our new passport. Pulled great with the yukon and family. Ended up buying the K-Source ratcheting tow mirrors that seemed to work well as a "bolt on" option.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 37

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking camper. Which model did you get?

rmcclean12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, we are going to buy a TT. Looking at a Sunset Trail Super Lite ST270BH. Dry weight of around 5300lb.

A '15 Suburban with Max Tow package handle this with no issues, right? Does the auto level system really keep the back end up? No need for airbags?

I'm pretty sure current rig, a 07 Durango rated at 7200lb, could handle it but will need airbags and a trailer brake controller. Tempted to buy a new Burb Z71 and go into serious debt in one day! lol

Our Yukon XL has max tow pack. Auto level kicked right in and brought the back end up as soon as we hooked up trailer. We also have a WDH that helps distribute load. Our TT dry is 5145 and we had 800 lbs of cargo with us. Along with wife and 4 young kids. Pulled great. Transmission temp stayed around 200-205.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Good looking camper. Which model did you get?

2810BH, great light weight bunkhouse. We were sold on having the 2nd door direct to the bathroom for the kids instead of tramping through the entire trailer.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that. Something about travel trailers make kids lose their ******* minds. I'm always glad they're having fun but it can be a little stressful having all that energy running back and fourth. Better to give them their own space.

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying a used '11 F-250 6.2. Fleet truck with 190K miles, well maintained, paid $8K. Nice to throw in bikes, firewood, and other crap in bed of truck and just go. I am going to install an add-a-leaf next week to help with squat but she is rated to tow 12K on the hitch. Love the towing mirrors.

IMG_5828_zpsu55xehnu.jpg

Last edited:

rmcclean12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up buying a used '11 F-250 6.2. Fleet truck with 190K miles, well maintained, paid $8K. Nice to throw in bikes, firewood, and other crap in bed of truck and just go. I am going to install an add-a-leaf next week to help with squat but she is rated to tow 12K on the hitch. Love the towing mirrors.

IMG_5828_zpsu55xehnu.jpg

Love that F250. We kicked around the idea of getting a 3/4 ton truck. I have an f150 that would tow the trailer as well but it only seats 5 and with 4 kids that don't work. You can't complain paying 8K for that rig!

alexalex

Reaction score
Bear in mind, some camping sites don't allow car-only camping and do require that you have a tent. You might want to bring along a small cheap tent, just to keep all options open. (You wouldn't necessarily have to sleep in it, just put it up for show.) You may want to find out all the info through https://travelsites.com/camping/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boromircalantir