Radio wouldn't turn off with truck. Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MechEng813

Reaction score
2015i Denali, iPhoneX

Just an FYI incase anyone runs into this and can't shut their stereo down.

Tonight after getting out of the truck the radio remained lit and on the navigation screen long after I closed the door and locked it.
Climate control button backlighting also remained lit.

At first I thought maybe Retained Accessory Power was "confused".
Especially since the seat moved to the exit position.
So I unlocked the door, opened, closed and relocked it with the fob. No change

Next I got in, shut the door, started it up, let it run for a minute, shut it down, opened the door to kill RAP.. no change.

Then thought maybe the door lock itself was biffed and not sensing an opening to tell RAP to turn off.
Pushed the lever up manually with a screwdriver a few times. Repeated above.. no change.

I even tried to manually power off the radio holding the button in, but it just flipped over to the clock screen.

Was really odd, because the interior lights would dim as I opened and closed the door, and
parking lights flashed when it locked (auto or with fob).

Every other function appeared normal except for the stereo and AC buttons lighting up.

Figured I'd wait out the 10mins to see if RAP just expired and the truck would shut off on it's own.
20+ mins later and still no change.

Then I noticed while killing time playing with my phone, I wasn't getting any audio when watching videos.. because it was still connecting via bluetooth to the truck.

Ran outside and while looking thru the window, disabled Bluetooth on my phone and the radio instantly went to sleep.

Turns out a weird sequence of steps locked the radio onto the phone.
-Truck running.
-Open drivers door.
-Initiate call from phone screen
-As soon as truck picks up audio, hang up call from phone.
(was trying to call wife but she walked outside anyway, so I hung up quickly)
-Shut off engine, shut door, walk away with fob and let it auto-lock.

Couldn't find too much online about it.
Someone on a Sierra Denali forum mentioned an outstanding OnStar alert was holding his up.
As soon as he hit the call button to connect/end his radio shut down.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive done this on my ‘13, driving home with bluetooth connected to truck and while talking to wife i shut it off, got out and started waking away figuring it would switch to my phone automatically from truck but nope, until I manually switched it to my phone truck was still going...never really gave it much thought though as it was home in the garage. You would think walking away after a certain distance Bluetooth would lose signal though. Meh, whatever

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably some engineers idea of a good thing. So you don't drop your call...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jterry76