Radio Wiring (RAP and Lights)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure the answer for this is posted somewhere, but I was not having much luck finding it.

I installed a new radio and everything works, but I would like to find a way to tap into RAP for my switched power source and a wire for the dash lights so that the radio will auto dim when the lights come on. Where should I look for wires for these functions?

Also, where did everyone mount their usb inputs? I have an LS truck so it does not have the full console. I have the center seat console.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I am sure the answer for this is posted somewhere, but I was not having much luck finding it.

I installed a new radio and everything works, but I would like to find a way to tap into RAP for my switched power source and a wire for the dash lights so that the radio will auto dim when the lights come on. Where should I look for wires for these functions?

Also, where did everyone mount their usb inputs? I have an LS truck so it does not have the full console. I have the center seat console.

Down behind the pedals. Something like this. This is from @Galante. It's on here somewhere...

Screenshot_20180530-142426.png Screenshot_20180530-142426.png

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the factory radio stay on with RAP as well as dim with the headlights? Aren't these features retained with an interface like the GMOS-LAN or PAC?

OP
OP
rgosart

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the factory radio stay on with RAP as well as dim with the headlights? Aren't these features retained with an interface like the GMOS-LAN or PAC?

Yes the factory radio does and you're probably right about the GMOS-LAN or PAC adapters. I only used a steering wheel control adapter. Didnt care about chimes or onstar

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the factory radio does and you're probably right about the GMOS-LAN or PAC adapters. I only used a steering wheel control adapter. Didnt care about chimes or onstar
your deck should have a lead for illumination (dimming), the power wire you are currently using would need to be changed to one that supply's rap power, the adapter you decided to not use would have those options already configured.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ah. Yeah, so you're gonna have to tap the circuit Nate posted for the RAP. For the dimmer, you can just tap a dome or dash light circuit, maybe one coming off the headlight switch.

OP
OP
rgosart

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your deck should have a lead for illumination (dimming), the power wire you are currently using would need to be changed to one that supply's rap power, the adapter you decided to not use would have those options already configured.

I understand. I was asking for the locations of wires I could use for those functions and @HiHoeSilver answered that