Radiator fan runs when engine is cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed several different 4K lb campers in the Rocky Mountains (Denver to Western Slope, multiple high passes) for several years now and haven't needed the conversion to keep the engine cool.
If the rest of your cooling system is good, the non-efan should work fine.

AT HOT IDLE RpM, the mech fan canNOT move quite enough air when the AC is most desired.
The mech fan works very well when towing because the engine / mech fan is spinning much faster than at idle.

The very temporary / repeatable intervention:
left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, increase engine / fan RpM enough to increase AC condenser airflow and restore AC function.

GM's cheap@$$ solution:
add just enough electrical fan to blow just enough air thru the AC condenser at hot idle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the vehicle's original fan is mechanical, then that pcm is so written - it will not bother trying to control it.
If the vehicle's original fanS are electrical, that pcm is written to control electrical fans in response to either coolant temp or AC psi.

If your pcm is 'unaware' of an electrical fans conversion, then your electrical fans will be inert -
UNLESS your electrical fans are NOT controlled by the pcm (older style conversion?)

1ROAD's truck is a GMT431.
Did ANY GMT400s have electric fans, or OE electrical wiring commensurate with electric fans?

Put another way: how well does this apply to GMT800s?
How many e-fan conversions had the same problems as 1ROAD with his aftermarket dual electric fan conversion?
It doesn't, he added a 3rd party product to a vehicle that was never designed for it as such he didn't initially do the upgrade properly. Adding oem fans to a 00-03/04 can be done easier, you may still want to upgrade the alternator in any case.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution for one summer (hopefully not two):
raise the Park / Neutral idle RpM settingS from 500something RpM to 750RpM in the pcm for the summer.

OE Park / Neutral idle settings were restored in the first week of September.
Hopefully I will not have to do the above again this summer.
With luck I'll be able to afford a proper '07 OE type electrical fan conversion.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't, he added a 3rd party product to a vehicle that was never designed for it.
As such he didn't initially do the upgrade properly.
Adding oem fans to a 00-03/04 can be done easier, you may still want to upgrade the alternator in any case.
Was there even an OE electrical fans option for GMT400s?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there even an OE electrical fans option for GMT400s?
No, not that I am aware of, as far as I know they were all pulley or fan clutch up to about 03/04, there was a small oem fan that I have seen on pickups for the ac section before I have one in my garage

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not that I am aware of, as far as I know they were all pulley or fan clutch up to about 03/04, there was a small oem fan that I have seen on pickups for the ac section before I have one in my garage
As GMT800 vehicles do have an OE solution for pcm controlled electrical fans, 1ROAD's video in this thread is useless / irrelevant to GMT800 vehicles, and should be ignored.
There, that's sorted.

OP
OP
M

mlupone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent point. I don't know if any GMT800s came with e-fans. The supposition is if they did, then all GMT800s probably/or may have had the robust wiring/fuses/alternator to accommodate an e-fan upgrade. Again, I don't know...thoughts anyone???

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent point. I don't know if any GMT800s came with e-fans. The supposition is if they did, then all GMT800s probably/or may have had the robust wiring/fuses/alternator to accommodate an e-fan upgrade. Again, I don't know...thoughts anyone???
The GMT800 had efans beginning in the ‘05 model year I believe, for the Tahoe / Suburban / Yukon / Yukon XL. They were also included in the pickups, but not sure what year it started, and I believe it also would depend on the level (1500/2500/3500)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @Sam Harris said, the e-fans began in 05. Prior to that, the trucks did not have the wiring or relays/ fuses for them so most of us who did the conversion used a factory harness which includes an add-on fuse panel that attaches to the side of the main under hood one. There are aftermarket ones available but they have a tendency to melt when it’s real hot outside. This harness also has a wire with the pin on it that is inserted into the PCM harness and then that output needs to be turned on via a tune so the PCM knows there’s an electric fan that it can control. There’s a good write up on it in the 00-06 tech section.