Radiator fan runs when engine is cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed several different 4K lb campers in the Rocky Mountains (Denver to Western Slope, multiple high passes) for several years now and haven't needed the conversion to keep the engine cool. If the rest of your cooling system is good, the non-efan should work fine.

I tow an 8600-lb trailer with my Suburban. It's been through the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,000') and over Powder River Pass (9666') multiple times.

Parked at Wall Drug:
Screenshot_20230403_174606_Gallery.jpg

E-fans will NOT help when towing at highway speed. The primary benefit is better cooling at idle speeds, particularly in terms of the A/C performance. Someone who lives in the South and doesn't tow a lot? Probably a good candidate for an E-fan swap.

One of my customers is a Tier 1 supplier who makes mechanical fan clutches for cars and light-duty trucks. Yes, there was a big push to E-fans in the late 2000s. You know what the OEMs found out? E-fans suck for cooling under high loads.

Yes, the 2500s have mechanical fans. Because mechanical fans simply work better for heavier-duty applications. And the ONLY time I hear the "roar" is when I'm towing heavy in the summer. And rarely does the A/C go warm at idle.

My 09 Denali has the E-fans.

Underhood of my Suburban :
20230404_081128.jpg

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-fans will NOT help when towing at highway speeds.
Certainly not nearly as much as a proper mech fan, when it comes to towing very heavy loads.
A proper mech fan is likely better than aftermarket high-wattage e-fans supported by major electrical upgrades.
Yes, there was a big push to E-fans in the late 2000s. You know what the OEMs found out?
E-fans suck for cooling under high loads.
The ever-increasing requirements represented by CAFE MpG targets started the big push to e-fans.
Vehicles that do not tow, or tow lightly, are better served by electrical fans.
Yes, the 2500s have mechanical fans. Because mechanical fans simply work better for heavier-duty applications.
Good thing 2500 and up are ignored by CAFE MpG testing - as they should be; they do most of the heavy towing.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my preliminary experience with the e-fan conversion here are my thoughts, with more to come as we ramp into Texas summer:

Idle/low speed AC performance: Electric fans
Highway (55+) AC performance: Mechanical fan
Butt-o-meter (SOTP) go-fast: Electric fans

As I did the programming to turn the e-fans on, I know that I used to stock setting of 45MPH to turn the fans off, so it reasons that the highway performance is better with a spinning mech fan. Hopefully that's the case, or I'm facing more AC repairs. It used to freeze my face off. Now it's just "cool". I think I measured high 40's at the vent.

I still think I'm ok with this trade-off if it is legitimate, because idle/traffic speeds AC performance have always been less than desired. I'll report back when we get hotter and I drive it more...I'm still not driving much at all.
I read somewhere about a TSB -- not the TSB itself -- that indicated the addition of a small, electric fan to improve AC performance, while keeping the mechanical fan.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere about a TSB -- not the TSB itself -- that indicated the addition of a small, electric fan to improve AC performance, while keeping the mechanical fan.
That TSB:
Maintains mech fan's increased cooling ability over 1000 engine RpM for towing
Restores 'sufficient' AC functionality
Cheaper than pair o' electric fans conversion (that was unavailable before '05 a anyway).

Yeah, I see why GM did what they did the way they did it.

Too bad they did not also offer a 'pair of electric fans' conversion OPTION - but they'd've likely overcharged for that ...

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That TSB:
Maintains mech fan's increased cooling ability over 1000 engine RpM for towing
Restores 'sufficient' AC functionality
Cheaper than pair o' electric fans conversion (that was unavailable before '05 a anyway).

Yeah, I see why GM did what they did the way they did it.

Too bad they did not also offer a 'pair of electric fans' conversion OPTION - but they'd've likely overcharged for that ...
Do you have a link to that TSB? I live in Texas, and have three vehicles that might benefit from it...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM TSB #01-01-39-004A

Abbreviated edited text is as follows in case the link fails in the future:

A/C Not Cold Enough, A/C Blows Warm Air with Vehicle at Extended Idle
(Install Auxiliary Electric Coolant Fan) - (Dec 20, 2002)

Models: GMT800 suvs & trucks with big ol' mech clutch fans
Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-39-004 (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the A/C stops cooling and blows warm air when the vehicle is idling for an extended period of time such as sitting in traffic.
Cause
Inadequate airflow over the condenser may cause this condition.
Correction
The addition of an auxiliary fan in front of the condenser radiator assembly may help to alleviate this condition.
The coolant fan will come on each time the A/C compressor is commanded on by the PCM.
This fan will create a roaring sound when operating.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If keeping the mech clutch fan is a requirement because the vehicle regularly hauls or tows very heavy, it would be a good idea to implement this TSB.
... or (rubs chin as an idea forms) ...
Add the TSB fan, but wire it up and program the tune so it behaves as the primary electrical fan.
In other words, instead of laying dormant unless the AC is demanded, it could behave as the primary fan would behave in any GMT800 that came equipped with a pair of electrical fans.
This might decrease the mech fan's duty cycle. I guess the question is, how much?
Feel free to rip on the idea, or complement it, as y'all see fit to do so.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is the mechanical fan's duty cycle that is a problem; I think it is the shifts from engine speed to not engine speed (engaging the clutch) that wears it out. Also, the TSB indicates the fan makes roaring sounds when engaged. This would increase your loud factor with unpleasant sounds... So I think I'd prefer to see if I could get a quieter fan that would move as much air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts