Quick Esky rack question -- CENTER SECTION BOLTS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently picked up the Escalade roof rack PACKAGE (now sold by GM). It includes the side rails and caps. (Cross rails are extra/separate.) I haven't started the install, but just looking casually in the boxes, it appears that there isn't any hardware to bolt down the center portion of the side rails. If you look at this diagram,

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/G/GC07645.gif

I'm talking about items 3, 4, and 5. (And not that I look at it, it appears that 3 and 4 are needed up front, too.)

Does anyone know if they ELIMINATED these pieces in '09? I used a buddy's '09 Caddy VIN to track down the kits at my local Chevy dealership -- I just don't know if I got everything I need.

Again, I need to get into the box completely and see what all is included. But in the event that these items aren't included, I was wondering if they are truly NEEDED or not.

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<

PS -- This rack is going on an '09 Tahoe.

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center uses a bolt with a sleeve. You bolt the sleeve in the roof then put the rack on the roof slide it back then bolt the front and rear ends down.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center uses a bolt with a sleeve. You bolt the sleeve in the roof then put the rack on the roof slide it back then bolt the front and rear ends down.

Thanks for the reply!

Still have the following questions, though:

1) Should the sleeve/"plate" be included in my kit(s)? Kit part nos. 25996380

2) Are these necessary on the '09 application (are they necessary on all applications)?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Also -- I read a post somewhere where the poster said to use "thread sealant" on the bolt when installing the new rack. Is this also necessary/a good idea/a bad idea?

Thanks!

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know if they should come with the kit because I had to buy all my pieces separatly. It is needed on all aplications to keep the middle secure. I did not put any thread sealant on because the orignal did not have it. I believe they did call the middle piece the "plate" even though it not really a plate at all. Go to chevroletforum.com and do a seach for escalade roof rack one of the posts lists all needed part numbers with descriptions

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Md. I checked the boxes at home at lunchtime, and there were no "plates" in with the kit. So, I guess I'll need to order them separately.

Thanks for the help.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15916756 is the p/n for the "plate" for an 06 don't know if they changed anything or not in the hardware.

My stock roof rack bolts all had some kind of white thread sealant on them. I bought some GM teflon thread sealant from the dealer and lightly applied it

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15916756 is the p/n for the "plate" for an 06 don't know if they changed anything or not in the hardware.

My stock roof rack bolts all had some kind of white thread sealant on them. I bought some GM teflon thread sealant from the dealer and lightly applied it

Fyr -- Same exact numbers for the plates (at least up to 2008, per gmpartsdirect.com). Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98