Quick autoride shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the front struts, rear shocks (all OEM replacements), and the compressor assembly with the Dorman unit. Lately I have noticed that the rear of the truck seems sloppy and I can't really understand why. All of the components have under 10k miles on them. Yesterday I was looking at my dads 2012 avalanche and his rear shocks have air in them, swelling the "bag" part out all of the time. My shocks look like they are deflated all of the time. The compressor kicks on and runs almost every time I start the truck. I have checked for leaks and have not found any at the fittings.

My question is, do they shocks always have air in them, swelling the bag out? Again, mine look deflated and vacuum sealed to the shape of the shock.

Do the lines crack inside the harness and leak there? Its almost as iff my shocks aren't getting any air at all. I haven't towed anything or put anything in the bed to see if it actually airs up so I can't confirm that and I don't really have anything heavy I could put in the bed to test it.

Truck is 08 avalanche LTZ

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a line go bad before and had a pin hole in the hose. You are definitely loosing air somewhere. Check that the ride height sensors are free by popping off a rod. They should spring up. If they don't lubricate them and loosen them up with your hand.

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does that rod come off? Also, does anyone make a new line kit?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lines are dealer. The rod just pops off with a plier

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry i don't have the part number but the line to the shock was like $50 i believe

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealer and they show "nothing" for airlines. Not a big surprise

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the line kit from Amazon. That was my problem. The line running to the passenger side was leaking somewhere. It is a touch shorter but I just routed it outside the harness and it was fine. All is good now.

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
If I were you I would pull the autoride fuse until you find the leak. Your compressor is running all the time most likely and that will kill it. Also, it is normal to hear the compressor kick on each time you start the vehicle.

To test if they are pumping up just have someone stand on the back bumper and either listen for a leak, or watch them fill up. then go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269