Question about hood being repainted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xander569

Reaction score
I took a mean hit from something the other day on the highway that left a nasty dent on my hood. The shop is going to repaint it... (it's black)

Is the hood going to look a lot darker than the rest of the truck? I feel like the paint everywhere else has definitely faded (its an 07 with high miles) and its not going to look right with fresh paint just on the hood.

Any thoughts?

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a mean hit from something the other day on the highway that left a nasty dent on my hood. The shop is going to repaint it... (it's black)

Is the hood going to look a lot darker than the rest of the truck? I feel like the paint everywhere else has definitely faded (its an 07 with high miles) and its not going to look right with fresh paint just on the hood.

Any thoughts?

The repainted hood is definitely going to out shine the rest of the vehicle if that's your question. The best thing you could do to prep would be polishing the rest of the truck and giving a good coat of wax to it.

If you clay bar the paint and then wax it chances are it will be pretty close to the condition of the new paint except for any existing swirls/scratches.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

I took a heavy, rubber floor mat or mud flap to the front of my hood, and it dented the hood, and at the front bend. We have a good paintless dent repair place in the area, and he was able to work the dent out of the hood. Now, could the hood eventually use some paint because of the general beating it takes up there? I guess so -- but in the meantime, you'd never know that the hood was ever dented after the paintless repair.

There are guys who roam the country doing this kind of work, especially on hail-damaged cars. You might be surprised how good the results are. Do you have a place like this anywhere near you? If so, it might be worth a shot to have the dent looked at first to see if one of these guys can fix it for you without having to have any paintwork done.

If paint was chipped off from the denting object, then that's another story...

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it painted and then have a paint correction done on your vehicle, that'll liven up the old hazed parts.

or, you could do like Jacob and just slap a bug guard on ur hood and call it a day.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it painted and then have a paint correction done on your vehicle, that'll liven up the old hazed parts.

or, you could do like Jacob and just slap a bug guard on ur hood and call it a day.

I :puke: before I realized you were being sarcastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo