Question about Clock Spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisu7582

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have just purchased my first Chevy Tahoe and I have found this site very uselful in some of things I am wanting to do to my new ride. So glad I have stumbled upon this site and thanks for taking the time to help me.

I purchased a 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT last week and have found a few nit pick things I want to get fixed. (Tire monitor system, heater in back seats, clunking at low speeds when turning due to the intermediate steering system)
I just have got off the phone with the GM dealer in town and they said I will need a new clock spring as well. Well they were wanting to charge me almost $600 parts and labor for it and I said...."No thanks".
I have found a new clock spring from A1auto and was going to get it and install it myself.
My question is this: Every site I have found that has the clock springs it says this "Excludes Electronic Control Steering"
What is this and will I need it? The top buttons (cruise, volume,seek) on my steering wheel do not work and only a few light up. All of my lower buttons work ( mileage, arrow) I am just not sure exactly what the Electronic Control Steering is.

Thanks for your help. I tried the search function and see if I could find an answer without posting but either its not on here, or I just suck at the search feature. Either way, any help would be appreciated. Another thing, the dealer said he wasnt sure if that would fix my buttons and light on the steering wheel, but he said he thought it would. WTH? $600 for thinking it might work??? lol

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what that means? I'd get a GM part - I didnt think they were that much, I had to do one on my tahoe once, be careful when you replace that intermed. shaft you dont let the wheel rotate any!! DOH!

Not hard to replace - airbag comes out - wheel comes off.. Then clock sprinmg.

OP
OP
C

chrisu7582

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

After calling Discount Car Parts and A1auto, they said the "Excludes Electronic Control Steering" means that it will not work with a steering wheel with the controls on it. I am somewhat bummed because A1 said that it was a special option in 2004 (?????) and I would more than likely only be able to find it at the GM dealer. (didnt know that steering wheel controls in 2004 was a special option) Anyways, I have emailed Robbie and OEMdirect and hopefully he can get me one a little cheaper that was the dealer would charge me for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924