Pulling off the Perfect NP246 Transfer Case Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a final sanity check on the clutches. The new clutch stack is within 5 thousands of old one so I think good enough. I'm assembling and is very easy to put it all together but ran into a hiccup.

The snap ring for the gear selector is no good. It barely hangs on the shaft. I'd replaced that bearing in the case and now I think I need a new snap ring there.

Video of what I'm talking about HERE

Anybody know where I can get the gear selector snap ring?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a final sanity check on the clutches. The new clutch stack is within 5 thousands of old one so I think good enough. I'm assembling and is very easy to put it all together but ran into a hiccup.

The snap ring for the gear selector is no good. It barely hangs on the shaft. I'd replaced that bearing in the case and now I think I need a new snap ring there.

Video of what I'm talking about HERE

Anybody know where I can get the gear selector snap ring?
.005" difference. Id call that good and send it!

Gear selector seal lip should face out like you have it.

Snap ring is in the groove like it should be BUT snapring appears to be too thin. They can be found individually at home depot, lowes, menards and the like. Mic the groove diameter and thickness on the shift shaft.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooops haha I just ordered from merchant automotive. Your suggestion would have been more affordable. It was only $3.99 however shipping was $16 so I threw magnetic train and fill caps.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need part numbers for the input shaft snap ring (that goes on hub for gear hub / input side)... And the output shaft.

I'm nearly completely done but those two snap rings are loosey goosey.

UPDATE:

I found the part number it's GM 682653. Looks like both the planetary snap ring and front ouput are same size and that part number comes with 10 snap rings.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since its been so long since you presoaked those auto clutches, I would add some AutoTrac fluid and spin the unit over by hand wetting those new clutches thoroughly BEFORE you install the TCASE and put it under power.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My slow a$$ is finally getting the TX case put in. Learning LOTS about messing up encoder motors! Took encoder apart as was clocked wrong *sigh*

Long story short, I'm 9/10ths installed.

I noticed, probably should have made note earlier too, that the front output is TIGHT. Specifically when in 2 high I can turn the front output independently with a lever while rear tires are locked and front driveshaft is off. I keep second guessing those clutches as I didn't use the tool tool. I think I'm fine... But just a sanity check here.

Also worth noting, they were presoaked... and right now I only have 1 quart of tx fluid in there. I need to pickup the second one. I assume once they get a little fluid between them they spin a little easier?

Thanks!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My slow a$$ is finally getting the TX case put in. Learning LOTS about messing up encoder motors! Took encoder apart as was clocked wrong *sigh*

Long story short, I'm 9/10ths installed.

I noticed, probably should have made note earlier too, that the front output is TIGHT. Specifically when in 2 high I can turn the front output independently with a lever while rear tires are locked and front driveshaft is off. I keep second guessing those clutches as I didn't use the tool tool. I think I'm fine... But just a sanity check here.

Also worth noting, they were presoaked... and right now I only have 1 quart of tx fluid in there. I need to pickup the second one. I assume once they get a little fluid between them they spin a little easier?

Thanks!
Fill her up once install is done. Keep in 2wd and drive around like that for 10miles or so and that will get the clutches thoroughly soaked then 4wd should be good to go.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, thanks for the tip... I cycled all the modes, then each one a little blip of the throttle. Drove one mile. It works like a CHAMP!

I'll put it in 2hi and drive about 10 miles. I do notice the motor is under a bigger load. I'm assuming that 4wd is partly engaged. However, tires don't bind when I turn which is good.

Build was SUPER easy. You were correct. I just had to find time to get to it. I built it up once... Then RTV'd it only to find I forgot a snap ring! I tore it completely down and reassembled it again in like 30 minutes.

The only blooper (separate post) was a efd up the encoder motor. Had to take it apart, pull the motor, and spin the shaft to get it back to neutral position. PITA I was almost done swapping the case after 9 hours of work... Only to have that encoder motor give me crap and it take another 9 hours to figure out.

Few notes. At 250,000ish miles the TX case looked like NEW inside. It was MINT, clutches were in spec, only issue was the pump rub. Had I not done this rebuilt, it's for SURE it would have rubbed through the case. A person maybe just as well to just put in a case saver and throw it back together. Otherwise wasn't too expensive to buy the rebuild kit. Chain IMO is a waste of money. The factory one was in perfect shape, no slop at all... only slop was a little from the carrier bearings on the shafts. Once I put new bearings the chain had no slop at all. I saw a few people on YouTube checking chain slop w/o supporting both sides of the shafts in the case. You cannot do that... It'll look loose that way. Once the case halves were temporarily put on it had no slop in the chain. The light noise when you spin the shafts is the apply hub (I think that's what it's called) touching the shift fork. It's normal and not the chain. The upgraded Raybestoz GPZ clutches were cheaper than the factory ones (I didn't want Chinese spec stuff they were not much more than those though). Hardest part was just getting the case out off the truck. I don't know why anybody would not try rebuilding one of these on their own. Was SUPER easy, just be careful you pull the encoder motor in NEUTRAL (or 2hi?). To put in neutral, push 2hi and 4lo buttons w/ trans in neutral for 10 seconds. Then pull the encoder motor and next the tx case. I pulled the encoder motor because I was worried about smacking it on the ground / breaking it otherwise.

Thanks for all the help! Stoked to have a good as new (better than new?) transfer case. Has upgraded clutches, case saver, and all new perishable parts replaced...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tcases are indeed stupid easy to rebuild. They arent anywhere near as involved as rebuilding a tranny or an engine. Definitely not rocket science especially with all the youtube videos available on how to.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And your help! Everybody wants to use that dumb tool for a gazillion dollars to spec the clutch stack spacer. I'd have been sunk if you'd not have pointed out to just measure them by hand. Maybe the only time your really need that tool is if you have a new clutch drum?