Prospective GMC owner , what am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is in the market for a 2015 or 2016 Silverado or Sierra, or maybe a Hoe or Yukon, 5.3L gas. He may be working up in North Dakota for a year or so and wondered what people have had for experiences with (really) cold weather starts with these trucks. He's looking at a couple with 35K or 40K on the clock. The general consensus seems to be that the 2016s are more reliable than the 2015s.

I sent him a link to this thread, but he's curious about what other things to look for, what you guys like or don't like about the comfort and driveability, reliability, etc. I haven't found any other threads about any general or specific issues so if you have any suggestions please pass them along.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is in the market for a 2015 or 2016 Silverado or Sierra, or maybe a Hoe or Yukon, 5.3L gas. He may be working up in North Dakota for a year or so and wondered what people have had for experiences with (really) cold weather starts with these trucks. He's looking at a couple with 35K or 40K on the clock. The general consensus seems to be that the 2016s are more reliable than the 2015s.

I sent him a link to this thread, but he's curious about what other things to look for, what you guys like or don't like about the comfort and driveability, reliability, etc. I haven't found any other threads about any general or specific issues so if you have any suggestions please pass them along.
Honestly, there's not a lot to not like about these trucks provided that you're down with the general idea of the size and the form factor.

Mine personally, which is a 2016, has not been to the shop for any reason other than scheduled maintenance. No reliability complaints at all. 45,000 miles.

Objectively, the (non-magnetic) suspensions on these are archaic, which manifests in all kinds of rear end misbehavior on rough roads and in some creaks and shudders that should not be there. To me, it's a truck and I'm not looking for pure refinement, so I choose not to let it bother me. Also, I don't think a dated design goes to reliability issues, and probably goes to the converse.

As for cold starts, I'm at 6400 feet in Colorado, but mine lives in the garage all the time when it's home. We do take it up the hill on weekends where it sits in parking lots in sub-zero temperatures all night. At 3 years old I can tell my battery is starting to go - apart from that it's been fine.

If mine burned or got stolen, I'd probably buy another.

Last edited:

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Tahoe LT, my only recommendation is check out the dealer reviews online, my only gripe is the AC repair runaround I have been getting.

www.dealerrater.com seems to have the most reviews.

Comfortable ride, great gas mileage, only item I'm glad I didn't get was magnetic shocks, that seems to be a common complaint. As for rust/corrosion, if you are going used, find one in Florida or somewhere warm, take a road trip to bring it home!

Plenty comfortable, and I am 6ft 8. Great truck overall, guess I'll see on the reliability as I drive it more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan