Prospective GMC owner , what am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I think the M or the AMG’s are a slightly different beast than what we’re talking about here. That’s kind of like getting a Tahoe blown out by a tune shop like Hennessy or Saleen.

But still a non M x5 can go from $60 to $88k which is a pretty big jump.

Just nowhere near $48k to $100k.
Even beyond that. M vehicles have totally different powertrain, suspension, steering, wheels, tires, roof, transmissions, exhausts, and in many cases body components. They are high performance BMW models designed to look like the lesser versions but are in fact very separate pieces of engineering.

The comparison would be buying an old Porsche and taking it to Singer Design, who would gut it to the bolts and then rebuild it in almost precisely its original image, but with far better components all around.

And actually I think you can spend $100K on a V8 non-M X5 these days, so your point there is spot on also.

Last edited:

tedv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I looked at a 2016 today...interior was spotless. Popped the hood and first thing I noticed was the engine block was oxidized and pitted and the headers were completely covered in rust. Taking a look under the vehicle...I see what I feel is pretty substantial rust for a 3 year old vehicle. All the steering components on the front end and most of the suspension in the rear had more than surface rust on the open edges and anywhere there was a bolt.

Very disheartening to learn that this kind of rust so early is a fairly common thing on these GM's and as much as I love the Yukon, its seriously making me reconsider looking elsewhere.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely can buy a non-M X5 for that much, I priced one out at $106,400!! Anyone can, just build one online.

But let’s not get stuck in the weeds, the point is it’s not unusual that a GM truck will start at $53k and go up to $81k for the Denali version or $100k for the top trim Platinum Esky version. Lots of other manufacturers have wide ranges in similar models. And in BMW’s case, the X5 is ONE model with various trims/options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris T

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Beware of the booming, buffetting and vibrations a lot of these have. It took numerous test drives to find one that did not buffet . My (since sold, couldn't take it any longer) '16 Denali had an extremely harsh ride and every little bump gave me a big BOOM in the cabin, even with 20" wheels. It got worse as it aged for some odd reason. I drove other Denails with 22" wheels and no booming, so it varies. Google "yukon buffetting":

https://www.google.com/search?q=yuk.....69i57j0l5.2344j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
This is not intended for the OP but towards the regulars. Too bad we can't put together a sticky in reference to buying a used Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban as we are asked this question about once a week. We want everyone to feel welcome and we enjoy the questions and being able to respond. With as many times as we have all responded to this question we could have one heck of a sticky. I know this has been suggested before and I am just putting it out there.

We have "thinking of buying? Read this first" threads for the other generations. I agree it's about time for the K2XX thread.

tedv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I traded a 2000 Suburban on a 2014 Suburban, and my daughter a 2012 used GMC Denali. My personal observations on both of these cars is the plastics, paint and surface protection of nuts, bolts and chassis components, aren't the same quality as the pre-bankruptcy GMs. Compared to the older models, we both have cracked dashboards, paint clear coat fialures, hood hinge surrounds rot, and nuts and bolts under hood and on chassis are all surface rusted. None of these issues on my old Suburban. I think the pre-bankruptcy GMs were just built better.

JoeMiner67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2015 Yukon Denali in Jan 2018. My purchase was influenced by a 2016 Tahoe my son bought which I just loved. In retrospect, I would probably held out for a 2016 model. The Nav system on these vehicles are as close to useless as you can get and still be considered "working". They are very unreliable. The 2016's have incorporated Android Auto and the Apple counterpart, and I consider that a very solid plus. I bought my wife a Honda CR-V without a nav system and have taken two long road trips in it, just because we could use Android Auto, and it made both trips much, much better. Google maps is fantastic! Voice recognition in the Yukon is just plain funny. No matter what you say, it finds something not even remotely similar and asks if that was what you wanted. I have NEVER been able to use the voice commands. Once in Las Vegas, we were driving back into town from a long day in the desert and wanted to have supper at a particular chain restaurant. Just asked for the chain name, and up popped several locations ranked in distance order. Just selected the one we wanted, and the system replied, :Let's Go!" Other than that, we have no complaints about the 2015 Yukon. Honda gets better gas mileage, but it is only 10 MPG different in our experience, so it is not a deal breaker either way. The Yukon gets much better highway mileage that I thought it would, and the Honda gets less than I thought it would. Both vehicles are remarkable comfortable for long trips, though the Yukon obviously has much more room. Good luck.

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 tahoe, 103k miles and i can avg 18.5mpg all day in the warmer months. Only issues so far have been ac problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommyb80

Reaction score
Every forum I'm on has the "thinking of buying" threads which are super helpful. As a lurker myself, I would tremendously benefit from a thread like that where I could go one place and find the information.

To the OP, I have a friend who bought a CPO '15 Denali that has had issues and he is ready to trade in. My wife will need a new vehicle this year and I'm seriously considering a CPO 2017 Denali for us. Seems that from all the threads I've read here that the '16+ trucks don't have the same issues as the '15 models, but then again there are some 15's that have no issues.

This is one that has cought my eye.https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...cDXvda72_tKE&dclid=CI6SiNb7-OECFYWdyAod-UwMyg

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your innformheadache and back pain and tooth pain . I hear all the 15 yr models are full of gremlins unless you like gremlins than good luck with a 15 get a 16 or newer you won’t be disappointed ☹️.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak