Problem with PowerStop SS Line kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper_x

Reaction score
I recently purchased SS Braided brake lines for my 2013 Tahoe LT from Rock Auto part# BH00161.
(Image attached below)

So, I'm happy with the front lines, (although i would like to have seen them use the "BLOCK" OEM style banjo bolt at the caliper end), but the rear lines are sketchy to me.

Also, they provide no instructions with the kit, even though I (and likely most people) know how to install them.
However, the problems below left me wanting to have some documentation to verify I'm doing things as they intended - because this seems kinda "hacky".

Problem 1:
These rear lines are about 1.5-2 inches too short.

The line going from the axle to the caliper is the exact same length as the original GM part, but that line was stretched a bit too tight for my liking.
This means that the new "upgraded" line is also under stress and too tight.

For the original rubber hose, that wasn't as big a problem as it is for the braided line.
This is because the when the bend in the line happens due to being so short, the boot at the banjo bolt end stretches and opens up, allowing material to get between the boot and the line.

Problem 2:
The rear lines do not fit in the brackets the same way as the original GM lines do.

The original lines pass through the bracket and have a built-in collar to stop them from going all the way through and then you can slide the "U" clip on to lock them in.

These "Upgraded" lines have no such collar, but instead use an E-Clip (a.k.a. circlip, c-clip) that you have to press onto the fitting to produce that "collar".
However, the problem with this solution is that the clips they sent are too small to go around the radius of the groove provided.
They twist and bend if you manage to get them around the line.

Further testing with the other lines and clips provided show that the clip DOES fit the radius where the "U" clip would go. (which has a smaller radius)

I purchased the next larger size clip available (Lowes) and that fits the radius to make the "collar" as intended.

My questions...

- Why does PowerStop use ends with "collar" stops on the front and one end of the intermediate lines, but the back lines use these E-clips (that are the wrong size)?
- Why do they make a line with the same inadequate length as OEM when the whole point of a purchase like this is to improve the performance of that part?
- Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you end up doing about it?

BH00161__ra_p[1].jpg