Pricing sanity check - 2017 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robphelan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys.. i'm looking to trade in my 2013 Yukon Denali for something newer (I may put it up here on the classifieds if anyone is interested).

I came across a 2017 Denali with about 4.5k miles, black with black exterior. Has all the standard Denali features plus:

• WHEELS 22" X 9" 6-SPOKE CHROME MULTI-FEATURED DESIGN

• ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL with Front Automatic Braking radar based system automatically adjusts speed to maintain preset following distance

• ASSIST STEPS POWER-RETRACTABLE with bright accent strip and perimeter lighting

• AUTOMATIC COLLISION PREPARATION Intelligent Brake Assist - Collision Avoidance Braking

• BRAKES 4-WHEEL ANTILOCK 4-WHEEL DISC VAC POWER WITH BRAKE ASSIST

• LICENSE PLATE FRONT MOUNTING PACKAGE

• LPO ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS (DEALER-INSTALLED)

• LPO CARGO MAT (DEALER-INSTALLED)

• LPO INTERIOR PROTECTION PACKAGE includes (VAV) All-weather floor mats LPO and (VLI) Rear cargo mat LPO (dealer-installed)

• LPO POLISHED EXHAUST TIPS (DEALER-INSTALLED)

• LPO WHEEL LOCKS (DEALER-INSTALLED)

I don't know why there are so few miles, yet. Also, I don't know the original MSRP but their asking price is 58.5k.

Any feedback on that price?

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the owner history, Carfax/autocheck report say, CPO? 2wd/4wd?

Check KBB and NADA values if you haven’t already as prices can vary a bit by location. I also observed in my recent search that there was some price delta for 2015/2016 based purely on exterior color with a slight premium for Summit White.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the owner history, Carfax/autocheck report say, CPO? 2wd/4wd?

Check KBB and NADA values if you haven’t already as prices can vary a bit by location. I also observed in my recent search that there was some price delta for 2015/2016 based purely on exterior color with a slight premium for Summit White.

Exactly. What does the carfax say? Was it wrecked? Is it 4x4 or 2 wheel drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, is it a 4x4? Also, Google the VIN since you can find pictures — especially if it was wrecked or flooded. Unfortunately, not all states require salvage or rebuilt titles.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
I always caution buyers not to focus on "price vs. MSRP," since nobody pays MSRP for cars. Comparing it to what you can buy the same car for new is better.

Is it a private party or a dealer?

OP
OP
R

robphelan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi everyone - 2wd from a dealer down the road. i haven't seen a carfax yet, but they claim the carfax is clean and i tend to trust the dealer (except when it comes to charging for service, that is)

EDIT:

checking the available carfax online - looks like it's being sold from the dealer who originally sold it new.

1 owner vehicle, first purchased on 10/18/2017 and titled 11/23/2017, traded back in and offered for sale on 09/19/2018

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok based on those assumptions, it’s a fair price, based on Manheim. Auction price is $53,100 and retail is right at $58,800 for that mileage.

f244f2b32f2586ccee83a04bf0ea245b.jpg db4a2748f834309e84da090d65340159.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

robphelan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks GTNator for the info. glad to see it's a fair price.. now, let's see what they offer me for my trade-in.

i know how this game works.. they're going to look up my payoff and offer me that number (7,200). it's happened exactly like that for the past 3 cars I bought.

i don't mind them making money.. i just don't want them to try to bend me over on my trade in.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have to look at the tax break you will receive for your trade on the new vehicle. See if it is close to what you could sell it out right for and if so then it is pretty much a wash if you trade it in.

Boatguy

Reaction score
A little late to this thread, but the Denali you described is pretty much what I bought sans the 22” wheels. My ‘17 4wd Denali was from a no road salt state (important to me and made my search much longer), so no rust or corrosion anywhere and had 3600 mommy miles. I bought it from a dealer near Phoenix and paid $56,000 after negotiations. I would have paid 58k.

Now maybe this can be fixed by a dealer, but I’ve found the adaptive cruise control to be next to worthless for what it is supposed to do—drive in traffic. It tailgates, even when set to the longest follow distance and there is only one other car on the road. The lane keep assist pretty much bounces you off the guardrails. We have a 2018 Honda. The LKA keeps you in the center of the lane and the ACC is perfect.

Now I love my Denali, but here is what I would consider if doing it again. Some items are included in the Denali package, and some are options.

6.2 motor. Worse mileage than the 5.3 and requires premium fuel. If you drive a lot (I don’t) this will cost you. It definitely has more giddyup, and that’s cool as this is my tow vehicle.

22” rims and tires. I personally hated the ride compared to the 20s. Smoothness is important to me. YMMV.

ACC. Crap implementation.

LKA. Crap implementation.

Assist steps. Love them.

HUD. Love it though it disappears with polarized sunglasses.

Enhanced DIC. Love it.

Centerpoint stereo. Better than the others that come with lower trim.

As for the trade in, you will always do better selling private party. I’ve sold my last 4 cars on CL, and ya, you have to weed out the scammers, jerks and lowballers, but there is a buyer out there who wants your vehicle (for thousands more than a dealer will give you) if you write a compelling ad, ask a fair price, and stick to your guns.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec