Preventive maintenance on a 2017 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan17

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to the Tahoe's.
I just took ownership of a 2017 with 75K on the clock. I have the Carfax History report and I'd like to replace all fluids and look over the brake system, rotors and pads. What service/repair manual would you recommend?

Also, I'm think on replacing the tranny filter and a complete tranny fluid replacement. I do this by disconnecting the tranny return line from the radiator or cooler and run the motor till a qt of tranny fluid comes out in the a catch bucket. I shut it down and add a qt of new fluid and run it again till another qt of old goes into the bucket. I shut the vehicle down again and add new fluid and repeat until the fluid flows clean. What I don't know is, will this require band adjustment which is why I need a good manual and for torque spec's etc.

Good idea for this Tahoe or bad? Why?
Dan

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
A fluid change is never a bad idea, I do the same process when a complete fluid replacement is desired. I use a Mitchell subscription which IIRC is about $30 per year for a service manual online.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty certain these trans are clutch to clutch...no bands anymore. they are solenoid controlled ( all electronic internals ).

what you may need to know is MAINTAIN the engine oil, even though these years are far better, the DOD can still fail from coked up oil. do not run extended intervals.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also consider cleaning out the MAF, throttle body and running a can of intake / valve cleaner in to the engine.

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. I noticed the new oil filter is a little shorter than the one that I removed. I double checked that the one given me by the counter person was correct and it was. Once I installed the oil filter I added the oil per the manual (8 qts) and the oil level seems high on the dip stick. Have others reported the same issue? I'm wondering if the shorter oil filter could be making the oil level on the dip stick higher.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in about 7 quarts initially, run it for a few minutes and then re-check adding oil as necessary until you reach the correct point on the dip stick. You may want to drain about 1/2 quart.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. I noticed the new oil filter is a little shorter than the one that I removed. I double checked that the one given me by the counter person was correct and it was. Once I installed the oil filter I added the oil per the manual (8 qts) and the oil level seems high on the dip stick. Have others reported the same issue? I'm wondering if the shorter oil filter could be making the oil level on the dip stick higher.
I just drain and add 8 qts. No issues after 40k. It does read high but did from day one with factory fill. I don’t think it’s that critical. Just my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3