PPV front shocks seized up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 13 PPV for 2 1/2 years now, and have always heard how stiff the suspension was so I just dealt with it. Truck has 80 kmi and looks like it was rode hard with some of the bent shields etc. underneath, and driving it was painful on most roads. The truck would kind of shudder and jumpy on the hops and skips in the pavement. Well I finally got around to replacing the front shocks yesterday, and I chose to just get OE cop shocks, thinking there was no way my truck could have been designed to ride so harsh, and with the correct shocks I would know for sure. Easy enough to get the struts in and out, but I chose to take them to a shop with the correct spring compressor for the job, which was well worth $40. The mechanic that weighs about 280 lbs said he could not compress the old shocks, but could on the new ones. That would explain a lot about how bad it rode. Now, even the the suspension is still firm, it feels more like it was supposed to. Much more composed now, with less harshness.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you saying the mechanic could not compress both old shocks? The new OE cop shocks, did the part numbers match or crossover? Do you have the new part numbers and the old part numbers off of the shocks?

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the mechanic could not compress both old shocks? The new OE cop shocks, did the part numbers match or crossover? Do you have the new part numbers and the old part numbers off of the shocks?
I did not verify the part number, but did buy from a local AC delco parts store, and had to special order what it called for. I could go dig the old ones out of the dumpster to check myself, but it's too cold here to bother, and I want feel like keeping my truck now. Sure seems tempting to have more fun with it now, thinking of 3.42 gears?
Trying to keep it cop rated with the newest 265/60-17 Goodyear's $$$ for summer, and running Michelin X-ice tires on the stock wheel in the winter.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thinking of 3.42 gears means you are already 75% there, don't kid yourself. LOL!

All the years I was in shops I never saw both shocks/struts, at either end of a vehicle, be locked up where you could not compress. I saw a couple times where one would be and that was because of an impact on one and the inside of another literally rusting up from water seepage over time getting in there. I don't doubt the story but it is very unusual to me. If it now works, great! What makes you lean toward 3.42 gears? Planning, remember 75%, engine mods or other suspension/steering mods? Exhaust work?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I haven't heard of shocks completely seizing usually they just lose all pressure. What gears are in the PPV Tahoes from the factory?

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 3.08 gears it always feels a little slow getting all of that weight to take off even with the deep 1st gear in the 6 speed. Seems like I would be able to tow a little more to when needed one and a while. Probably not worth a $1000 to have it changed though. Don't really want to do any engine mods, since there seems to be plenty of power most of the time. I've autocrossed this thing once, and it did pretty good for it's bulk. I haven't had a chance to beat on the new shocks yet to see how they feel.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.08s are pretty steep 3.43s or 3.73s would make it feel a good bit faster and with the 6 speed you would still have good highway mpg. But yeah gear changes are not cheap.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one rear shock frozen in place and the other was so bad that it came apart as I pulled it out of the truck. Never heard of 2 being frozen in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts