Power folding Mirror Code?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a power folding exterior mirror and there seems to be some confusion or misrepresentation on the item code.
I thought the DL3 option was for all the bells and whistles including power folding, not just remote power glass adjusment, but some EB listings noted as DL3 give some seller (salvage yards) responses that their listed mirror do have power folding.

Am I wrong on the DL3 features?

A related question would be is the painted front cap easily removed for replacement?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a power folding exterior mirror and there seems to be some confusion or misrepresentation on the item code.
I thought the DL3 option was for all the bells and whistles including power folding, not just remote power glass adjusment, but some EB listings noted as DL3 give some seller (salvage yards) responses that their listed mirror do have power folding.

A related question would be is the painted front cap easily removed for replacement?
Yes, it is relatively easy to replace the mirror cap. Use a trim tool. Older covers are brittle and likely to chip no matter how careful you are.

Don't rely on Ebay sellers, they don't know much and care even less generally speaking.

These two part numbers come with chrome mirror caps. The driver's side is auto-dimming, they are heated, power, turn signal, puddle light, power folding and are listed as DL3 on my RPO sheet:

20843108 and 20756950

P.S. - The pickups do not have the puddle lights on their DL3 mirrors, at least on the SLT trim level.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So if you are going to replace it, no worries. It is not hard, but there is a chance you could break clips. YouTube is your friend for this procedure.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is relatively easy to replace the mirror cap. Use a trim tool. Older covers are brittle and likely to chip no matter how careful you are.

Don't rely on Ebay sellers, they don't know much and care even less generally speaking.

These two part numbers come with chrome mirror caps. The driver's side is auto-dimming, they are heated, power, turn signal, puddle light, power folding and are listed as DL3 on my RPO sheet:

20843108 and 20756950

P.S. - The pickups do not have the puddle lights on their DL3 mirrors, at least on the SLT trim level.
I need to replace mirrors and can confirm SLT trucks do not have puddle lights. I plan on ordering mirrors with puddle lights to see if they work, unless anyone has tried this unsuccessfully before.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on brands I would be interested in hearing. I plan to buy OEM but the price difference between aftermarket equivalents is significant ($150 ea). Seemingly most aftermarket brands end up having mirror shake which I absolutely can not stand.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dl3 should have puddle light, blinker, power fold, heat, memory. (right)
(left) should have all of the above plus auto-dim
dl3 + uft will add blindspot detection (both sides)
blind spot will not work unless you have that option already.
adding the DL3 mirrors to DL8 vehicles will most likely require the entire door harness (both sides) and pre-programmed door switches (both sides)
or at minimum harness and then switch programming
some lower trim vehicles may not even have the wires from the bcm to the door harness interface to add extra features
just going by memory I could be wrong on any of it or some options are not going to work if you do not have it already such as memory & auto-dim, blindspot, etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that I currently have DL3 mirrors but the right one has a failure of the power folding mechanism.
It was handy to get the beast in the garage.
I am imagining it would be a struggle to replace the guts rather than just swap the whole thing out and use my painted cap.

belair62

Reaction score
Just replaced mine with a cheap set from Amazon so I doubt they will have the dimming feature but they are not hard to swap. The cap comes off as stated above to swap onto a bew mirror. I am goingnto take my originapls apart and see how hard it is to swap the Gruven gears/ motor out.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should add that I currently have DL3 mirrors but the right one has a failure of the power folding mechanism.
I am imagining it would be a struggle to replace the guts rather than just swap the whole thing out and use my painted cap.
I have a take off set since I use Esky mirrors. I would sell both or one. Black. Let me know if you are interested.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nah, takes about 30-45 minutes to replace the broken gear inside. you can do it all from the outside no need to even take the door panel off.
the plastic one is a direct replacement, if you get a all metal one they don't seem to play as nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442