Power Door Locks not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Kevinmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is the power door lock relay on a 1997 chevy tahoe located

Could somebody telll me where the Power Door Lock Relay is(forget where exactly but there is supposed to be a power door lock reley in the dash. Perhaps it messed with the radio install?) My son took off his dash to put in new head unit and Power Door Locks have not worked since, could this be my problem.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I found it.

From alldata:

The Power Door Lock Relay is located under the center portion of Instrument panel (I/P), near Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).

NOTE: This relay is used only on 4 Door and 2 Door Utility, Crew Cab/Suburban.

The picture shows a wire bundle with a relay plugged in and the relay has a stem that sticks into a mounting hole

paladin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi ,
I have a problem with my 97 hoe LT 4 door. I really appreciate if somebody can help me.
I had a remote starter on it which had a poor range and some problems. I bought a new 2 way remote starter with keyless entry and installed it. I removed the dash panel and all the buttons (head light switch, tail gate and viper buttons). I tested it before I plug everything back in and everything worked just fine. I began to put everything back together. When I plugged in the headlight switch the doors began to unlock and kept unlocking until I unplugged the battery. I unplugged everything from the remote starter but my left door was not locking from any of the buttons and when I pressed unlock it was unlocking 2-3 times. (I found the mistake I did, it was the dome supervision relay I put which supposed to supply - and I gave + 12V the fuse before the relay was dead). I checked the fuses in the driver side and under hood fuse boxes and everything looked fine. I disassembled left driver door and checked the actuator and it is working fine. I checked the lock/unlock relay right of the steering column and that looks fine. Suddenly my left door began to lock but it is still unlocking 2-3 times and also when I press the door supervision button next to headlight switch the door keeps unlocking (only the drivers door and I believe thats what happened fist time I plugged the headlight switch) Right door is locks sometimes halfway but not unlocking at all but it looks like it is trying.. So I decided to try the lock unlock manually without the relay module. I gave grey and tan wires +/- 12 Volts and the symptoms are exactly the same and I heard I relay being pulled somewhere in the steering column but I couldn't figure out where it is coming from. From the electrical drawings looks like the "keyless entry module" has the control of the left door motor and has a parallel line is going to the right door motor . So
right door motor is connected both to the relay box and to the keyless entry module.My question is where is the keyless entry module or what is it looks like? I already unplugged the silver box next to the relay box but didn't change anything.
I couldn't find a replacement for this module online and since I have the keyless entry already built in in my remote starter can I just unplug it and forget about it? (It looks like it also "controls the interior lights system" but I am not sure how)I already tried Circuit breaker A but it is still doing the same thing. Any ideas???
Thanks
Kevin

jzaldivar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
keyless Entry

the only way you would be able to use the keyless entry if you unplug the aftermarket remote start is to use a factory remote, I hope i understood your question correctly, on my 06 silverado I am able to use the aftermarket remote(Viper Alarm) and oem remote. Lots of installers cut corners and just piggyback the aftermarket equipment to your oem wiring in other words the just crimp the wires and tap into the oem alarm(wiring) to avoid rewiring anything. So unplugging the afteramarket alarm will just disable that and not your oem k-less entry. Hope this helps.

Juan

paladin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the only way you would be able to use the keyless entry if you unplug the aftermarket remote start is to use a factory remote, I hope i understood your question correctly, on my 06 silverado I am able to use the aftermarket remote(Viper Alarm) and oem remote. Lots of installers cut corners and just piggyback the aftermarket equipment to your oem wiring in other words the just crimp the wires and tap into the oem alarm(wiring) to avoid rewiring anything. So unplugging the afteramarket alarm will just disable that and not your oem k-less entry. Hope this helps.

Juan

Juan,
Thanks for the reply. I installed the remote starter myself and I believe that's the problem:). I didn't cut any wire. I found the the wires coming from the driver side door lock unlock button. There is connector just above the carpet, on the left wall. I connected my aftermarket keyless entry cables with two relays to these cables. I believe my only mistake was to connect + to the dome circuit. Last night I checked the right door motor and looks like it is not working right.. I took the entire right panel out and gave + - 12 volts to the motor directly. My left door began working after this but looks like right one is gone. After your reply I found my original fob which doesn't work well for the last 5 years. Looks like it locks and unlocks fine all the doors except the right door which is normal with that motor.
My problem is still the same. With the remote starter/after market keyless entry unhooked and all relay fuse removed ( I used 1 for lock 1 for unlock 1 for dome lights and 1 for rear hatch) when I press any unlock button in the car the driver door tries to unlock 2-3 times and when I press the dome supervision button (bottom left of the headlight switch) the doors keep unlocking (which was caused all the problems)..
I looked to the diagrams and there is a relay box under the center of the dash board (which I tested and works ok) .
The left door lock unlock goes to a relay box AND keyless entry module and the right door goes directly to the keyless entry module I have no idea about the rear doors. My guess is this 2-3 unlock pulse coming from the keyless entry module. I unplugged the relay box and connected +12 and ground directly to the door motor cables. I still could hear a relay pulled somewhere under the dashboard and I believe it is the keyless entry module and still the driver door unlocked multiple times. By any chance do you know where this module is?
Thanks again for the reply..
Regards
Kevin

cadillac3646

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
keyless module (rcdlr)

Hello paladin, were you able to get to the keyless module? If so, would you mind telling me all about the process? I'm pretty sure mine needs to be replaced. It won't go into program mode. I have a 2000 Z71 old body style w/ 5.7 Thanks p.s- will you sell me your old one?

paladin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello paladin, were you able to get to the keyless module? If so, would you mind telling me all about the process? I'm pretty sure mine needs to be replaced. It won't go into program mode. I have a 2000 Z71 old body style w/ 5.7 Thanks p.s- will you sell me your old one?

Hi,
I believe mine is not in great shape either.. I think replacing that with an oem product is much cheaper and easier.. I can try to help you with the process but as you can tell I had some problems with it myself. I connected +12V instead of ground to the dome lights and something is broke now. Looks like one of the doors is directly connected to the relays and the keyless entry module ( i believe it's the left door) the other one is connected to the KEM only and I believe KEM is pulling the relays. (they are in the center of the dash).

I found a silver box next to the relays in the center of the dash.. I unplugged it but still my driver side door tries to unlock 2-3 times and sometimes the switch doesn't work at all. I still hear a relay pulling somewhere under the dash I believe that silver box is not the keyless entry module and have no idea what it is.. I checked the right door actuator and it doesn't pull or push all the way and sometimes it moves just a little. I gave the 12V from the door panel switch I will try to give it from another source but I believe those wires are always hot..Probably need a new door motor.

There is still something wrong and I still don't know what it can be.. I put everything back together last night and I will try again this weekend. Does anybody has any idea..
Thanks

Ratna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is more than one fuse that goes to the Power Door Locks on a 1997 Tahoe LT. I know that the A circuit is for the power seats and for the power locks and my power seats work. It states in the owners manual that number 13 fuse is for the cigarette lighter and Door Lock Relay but my number 13 fuse has a short in it and its been like that since I've had the vehicle for six months and my power locks just stopped working last week. If there is anyone with the same vehicle would you mind pulling your number 13 fuse and still see if your power locks work. If anyone has any other ideas could you please get back to me.
Suburban may be the same, but mine was a breaker, not fuse. 30 amp metal, it controlled the seats and the window locks. I got a generic one a parts store and had to trim the brass tabs so that it would fit, now all works. When it was out I could hear the lock relay click but the locks wouldn't work, now with the new relay they work. It is located in the fuse box inside the drivers door

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan