powder coat wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt Baker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want black wheels for my Summit White '22 Denali. There is a local shop that will take my wheels off, put on loaner wheels, powder coat my stock wheels and then mount them for about $800. This seems like a much better option for me than $4K for black GMC wheels.

I would like some thoughts, opinions or warnings.

Thanks,
Curt

BTW - I will miss my '13 Yukon 2500. Great truck.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what happened with mine. Had them gloss powder coated black. They look sharp they are very durable and they were done in three days. It’s a no brainer really if that’s what you want…..

OP
OP
Curt Baker

Curt Baker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s what happened with mine. Had them gloss powder coated black. They look sharp they are very durable and they were done in three days. It’s a no brainer really if that’s what you want…..
I love the look ... is there a larger size photo here on the forum? How did you do the grille?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grille was removed and gloss black paint..If you want to see some better pictures look through the 21 just pictures thread, you’ll find my vehicle.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I already know the obvious answer to this stupid question, but here it goes: If you get a wheel (tire on rim) package shipped to you, but you want to have certain areas on the wheels powder-coated, do you have to remove the tire for the powder baking process, or can you leave the tires still mounted on the rim?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I already know the obvious answer to this stupid question, but here it goes: If you get a wheel (tire on rim) package shipped to you, but you want to have certain areas on the wheels powder-coated, do you have to remove the tire for the powder baking process, or can you leave the tires still mounted on the rim?
Definitely remove tire. But whoever is doing the powder coating should be capable of removing the tire

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want black wheels for my Summit White '22 Denali. There is a local shop that will take my wheels off, put on loaner wheels, powder coat my stock wheels and then mount them for about $800. This seems like a much better option for me than $4K for black GMC wheels.

Thanks,
Curt

Powder coating is definitely the proper way to “paint” a wheel. We paid about $550 for my wife’s 17”s and they’re holding up great about 3 years later. The bigger the wheel obviously the price goes up. So $800 is a very good price IMO

Also pretty nice of them to offer loaner wheels. Quite the liability if you ask me. They have to make sure their equipment is top tier every time they send them out on the road so If anything happens it’s not the fault of their tires. And or they run the risk of people bringing back some abused wheels. My shop didn’t offer this. But turn around was less than 2 days

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely remove tire. But whoever is doing the powder coating should be capable of removing the tire
I've had other items powder-coated in years past and know how the process is done. I just wasn't sure if the powder-coating process has advanced any in the last 25 years to where you can isolate small areas on a large surface to powder-coat only those areas... (Like using a special heatgun for baking)

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Curt

Why 4K for GMC black wheels? I picked up mine with the 25% off coupon over the holidays so they were around $400 each, $1600 or so for the set and then sold my stock wheels and netted less than it would have cost to powder coat the stock ones. Unless you really like the styling of the stock one and just want them black.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these wheels new, just after buying my '88 GMC. Polished aluminum. I had them powder-coated to a similar color of the OEM rim color, before I swapped out the wheels. The chrome caps powder - coated also. ( 3 days ).. Then changed them out at the tire shop. The coating held tough all through the 400,000 miles. They spray the coating like spraying paint, so, yes, they can mask off areas if you wish, then powdercoat / clear coat the whole wheel.

( 1989 .... $45.00 per wheel )
So, buy your wheels, get them coated while you are still driving with your stock wheels.
( I had a couple spare center caps coated also.... just in case they get scratched )

I suggest to have your tires/wheels shipped , not mounted on rims??

Attachments

• 20180418_114712.jpg
    20180418_114712.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076