Possible to replace new Android Auto music splitscreen with SiriusXM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the update which brings the new Android Auto splitscreen over the weekend (moves map to left side and leaves two smaller windows on the right for music).

I typically listen to SiriusXM through the vehlcle's built-in infotainment and wanted to see if anyone knows whether it's possible to replace the window for the last used Android Auto audio app with an SXM window instead.

I know the built-in system has a split-screen view (swipe to the screen left of the home screen) which shows the vehicle's audio on one half and Google map navigation on the other) but I don't have a data plan so the map is blank and useless. Similar issue with the voice command button on the steering wheel - I wish it could be programmed to activate the voice command through Android Auto instead of vehicle's built-in system.

Any guidance is welcome.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the update which brings the new Android Auto splitscreen over the weekend (moves map to left side and leaves two smaller windows on the right for music).

I typically listen to SiriusXM through the vehlcle's built-in infotainment and wanted to see if anyone knows whether it's possible to replace the window for the last used Android Auto audio app with an SXM window instead.

I know the built-in system has a split-screen view (swipe to the screen left of the home screen) which shows the vehicle's audio on one half and Google map navigation on the other) but I don't have a data plan so the map is blank and useless. Similar issue with the voice command button on the steering wheel - I wish it could be programmed to activate the voice command through Android Auto instead of vehicle's built-in system.

Any guidance is welcome.
Consider downloading the SXM app on your phone, and running it on AndroidAuto?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone so I can't comment on the AA stuff, but as far as the voice command button on the steering wheel - when I'm connected to CarPlay and press that button it activates Siri instead of the built-in Google system. I would think it would work that way with AA as well?

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone so I can't comment on the AA stuff, but as far as the voice command button on the steering wheel - when I'm connected to CarPlay and press that button it activates Siri instead of the built-in Google system. I would think it would work that way with AA as well?
Thanks for the heads up. A quick push of the button fails to bring up the vehicle's built-in Google assistant - telling me I don't have a data plan - but long-pressing the button successfully brings up the AA Google assistant.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. A quick push of the button fails to bring up the vehicle's built-in Google assistant - telling me I don't have a data plan - but long-pressing the button successfully brings up the AA Google assistant.
Ah - yes, forgot to mention that part but glad you figured it out. I'm already accustomed to that because on my '17 Accord I have to press and hold until I hear the Siri "chime" sound - then I tell her what to do. Same process works on the Yukon.

OP
OP
navyseal334

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding replacing the AA audio window with SXM, I'm hoping to find a way to replace the red tile below. 20230130_171016.jpg

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding replacing the AA audio window with SXM, I'm hoping to find a way to replace the red tile below. View attachment 390899
Yes, I know...so try this:

Download SXM app to your phone
Start your car
Connect your phone to Android Auto
Select SXM app on Android Auto (vs using the vehicle SXM tuner/app)
Would think the Red Tile is now SXM App vs Music App.

This is not exactly what you are asking, (because what you are asking is to split the screen between Android Auto and one of the Native Infotainment apps, and I know of no way to do that)
BUT, the other way to do what you are asking is hit the Home Button, and use the onboard google maps and split screen w/ the onboard Audio Source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17