Posi an rear disc brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nester6662

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If my 4dr 2wd 99 Tahoe has a 8.5 rear wouldn't the posi and disc brake set up work of caprice and Impalas from 96 all the B and D-bodies had the same rears that came with LT1's not 4.3 of course. I'm pretty sure it's the same 30 spline axels as well don't see why this wouldn't fit. If not or not sure what are u guys out there using for posi and rear disc brake kits conversations?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
will have to research that but tru-trac is probably the best traction device for the suv and rear disc conversions go for about $1100-1400 depending on caliper material.

OP
OP
N

Nester6662

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
will have to research that but tru-trac is probably the best traction device for the suv and rear disc conversions go for about $1100-1400 depending on caliper material.

U gave me an idea I looked up the posi unit for a 96 Impala on summits website. An then for my 99 Tahoe and the results came back as the same part numbers. So to save a ton a cash any of can go down a upick and if we are lucky find one a these units I've bought any of these in my time but my IMP was far from stock lol. They cost like $60 from upick yards here in Miami AWSOME!!!

The disc brake set up is another story but I knw I can get a full rear welded in for cheap. I'd have to measure hub to hub on the b an d body's, then steal the proportion valve off a disc/disc set up and we r in biz.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
sorry the axle housing are different but still looking into the brake componenets switch tho.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

yep axle is completely different and i cant find any commonality between the brake parts. the axles wont work just because you are 4wd. which means impala rotors wont work. i dont even think the calipers would be strong enough for the weight classification of suv anyways.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2wd 4dr. The hard part will be getting the right backspacing and a caliper bracket that will fit with that backspacing.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
mind you the 2wd have more options for front brake upgrades then the 4wd does. ssbc can gives you 4 piston front caliper with a 13" rotor upgrade. 4wd you can get twin piston on the same side using the same rotor. that sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz