Popping sound 4 or 5 months after drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. Before i did the drop i replaced the whole front suspension. The inner and outer tie rods, lower ball joints, upper control arms with ball joints, the sway bar end links and pitman. Then I did a Mcgaughys 33049 3/5 drop then had it aligned. So now 4 or 5 months later there is a pop sound like when i reverse and brake or when i'm at a stop and start moving it pops. I lifted the front and checked everything i replaced. Checked to see if lower ball joints are good and no wiggle at all even top ball joints all good. Any ideas what it could be?

Yukon50BMG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Upper intermediate steering shaft would be my guess. All the NBS get it at some point. There’s grease in between the upper and lower shaft and with the gear box being connected to the frame, the body flexes and forces grease to separate. I don’t have a picture of mine but it’s a common issue. Pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Upper intermediate steering shaft would be my guess. All the NBS get it at some point. There’s grease in between the upper and lower shaft and with the gear box being connected to the frame, the body flexes and forces grease to separate. I don’t have a picture of mine but it’s a common issue. Pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

I will check
Check the driveshaft U-joints and the slip yoke. If you're 4WD you have more U-joints to check....
Will check that out as soon as i have time. Thanks

OP
OP
S

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Will also check that out too. Thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One other thing, check the engine mounts, primarily the driver's side, and the transmission mount.

Speedslow

Reaction score
After I installed my djm upper and lowers control arm the drivers side had a pop a couple days after driving. It ended up being the lower control arm bolts after I re torqued everything it went away and has been good for over a year now

OP
OP
S

serg2019

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checked steering shaft and driveshaft U-joints and the slip yoke they're all good. Also the motor mounts and transmission mount all good. The popping sound like theyre coming from balljoints areas on bothside. I will lift it up and recheck every bolt and nut retorque tomorrow. Any recomendations on good antisway bar with links kits for front? It has the original one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MURDD0CK