Poor Blackbear Customer Service led to a Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Not trying to bash them but I thought I would give a review of The Hypertech Max Energy programmer for others interested.

I had every intetion of trying out BB tunes because of what i have read on this website on my new vehicle. But it would take them two weeks to reply to emails and they had no phone number to call. I would rather deal with someone over the phone and get more one on one help instead of waiting for a two weeks before they replied. I pm'ed them and again two weeks later they just resonded with tells me they arent that interested in selling there product. Then once you buy the autocal or tune you have to email them again so needless to say I wasnt waiting 4 months before getting a tune installed. Idk how you guys can wait. I cant imagine what some of yall do if there is a problem.

Since they took forever, Hypertech got my business and I ordered a second programmer for my dads truck. I must say that the tuner awakened my truck and took the sluggish feel away from the 35 and recalibrated my speedo. The tuner was quick and easy to setup and I was able to call over the phone Hypertech techinal support and get there opinion of different set point instead of waiting two weeks for emails.

IDK how you guys were treated at Blackbear but from what I was told they were a great tune but there custmer service sucks.

IF you looking for a good tuner that is budget frinedly and easy to operate I would for sure look into Hypertech. I picked up about 1.5 - 2 MPGs with the premium tune and would definitely recommed this product to anyone else.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortune David, but good things come to those who wait.

For the price you paid for those Hypertechs, you would have gotten a tune that was way more advanced then the Hypertech. But, again, understand that you couldn't wait.

In Justin's defense, they do ALOT of tuning, and I am sure there should be alot more streamline process for them, but if they posted a phone number, Justin would spend more time answering "how to" questions than he would making sales.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you jump in when he came to New Orleans back at the end of February?

I can't say anything about dealing ith Justin through email but in person he is an awesome guy to deal with. I just wish I would have gotten my 07 tuned also.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. Blackbear is a good tune for the $$$ though. Way better than Hypertech.
There is no excuse for Justin (or his coworkers like Jenna) not responding for two weeks at a time, no matter how busy they are. Customer Service keeps business going. If it is taken away, then the business will suffer.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, with my tune coming up on Sunday I can't say that communication via email and pm has been anything but spot on. In fact a couple of months ago when I first bought this truck, Justin was in DC for a tune then, and Jenna spent an incredible amount of time and effort explaining the process to me ... and it took a lot of time and effort because I knew nothing of tunes. I passed on it then until this Sunday, but I was very impressed with their pre-tune communication.

That said, it does worry me that they don't have a tech support phone number that one can call in an emergency as it seems BB has grown enough as a business to merit this element of customer service ... although undoubtably the cost of said tech support/live person CS would surely be reflected on the price of the tunes.

Anyhoot, time will tell, but I thought it fair to chime in with my own positive experience to date.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad experience. I know Justin is very busy and he deals with multiple forums and not this alone. I will tell you because i had the Hypertech before the BB that the Hypertech dosent even hold a candle to the Autocal BB. I hope you can find it to give them a try because it hell worth the wait.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had both a handheld mass-market type and an in-person tune from Justin, I can tell you there is absolutely no comparison, whatsoever. It is apples to oranges. I can't stress to you how much better the BBP tune is than the Edge I had.

And for the poster who spoke about wanting to have a phone number for "emergencies", after an in-person tune, you do. :waytogo:

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way it will take 4 months to get a Black Bear tune. I had mine in just over 2 weeks from the time I ordered the AutoCal. Yes it would be nice to have a customer support number to call but Black Bear tunes are popular based on Justins experience and reputation. How many people would be satisfied talking to someone else with a techicnal or tune question? Most would probably just leave a message asking for Justin to call them back and then complain because he was at a tune meet or helping another customer and didn't drop everything and call them back right away. With Hypertech or others you never know who you are going to get or the knowledge and experience of the person you are talking to. Some things are just worth the wait.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for the poster who spoke about wanting to have a phone number for "emergencies", after an in-person tune, you do. :waytogo:

That's really good to know ... thanks. :Handshake:

MJEngineering

New England Tuning
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you ever have tuning questions or would like INSTANT help or adjustments to your tune, I answer the number in my sig 99% of the time day and night. Emails as well.

MIKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia