Poll: How long has your transmission lasted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe 168,000 Flushed fluid at 150K no issues so far

2005 Denali 116,000 Flushed fluid at 100K no issues so far either.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my 2000 NBS (Yukon xl 4x4), I broke it at least 5 times over the course of 12 years, not including 2 transfer cases, 3 or 4 rear diffs, never broke the front diff but it did spring a leak so I yanked one out of a escalade and it survived. and 1 engine rebuild, sold it at 320k still in great condition.
that's what happens when you floor it pretty much all the time

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
309K original trans, motor, transfer, front diff. Rear axle replaced once with a used one.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
I have 148,000 on my 2012 it has always been flushed and replaced. If it turns black don't flush it. If it has always been in the pink. Then get it flushed. I should last a dam long time.

hound_dog

Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LS 2WD.
At 94k the transmission went out. I think it was 1st/2nd gear but it's been years so I don't recall. Luckily we had the 100k 72mo warranty and it was fixed. We're at 174k now and it's working fine. Had the fluid changed at 150k.

Henry V

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Yukon Denali with the 6.0 and 4L65E, 165k and no problems so far. I've owned it since 99k. Has had a couple fluid changes.

@Henry V We're gonna need to see more pictures of that truck in your avatar...
I'll try... It took me about 30mins to put this one on here... Lol!

JRB_04_LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
04 Tahoe LT
208,000 miles on the original tranny with no problems.
No known service history, took over the vehicle when I met my wife a few years ago. Tahoe had roughly 189,000 on it and she had no service records.
I literally asked a reputable local shop this morning what their opinion was about doing a full service with fluid and filter and the guy said at this point , he wouldn't bother because I'm already on borrowed time. I honestly don't know if the fluid in this tranny has ever been changed. I pulled the dipstick and the fluid still looks slightly pink. At this point, what do you guys recommend I should do? Service it anyway and hope for the best? Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

camaroz2887

Reaction score
When my mother had the 03 suburban the stock trans lasted til 98k I believe. She got it rebuilt at a reputable shop and ended up giving it to my brother. That rebuild lasted til 280k (with a questionable flush schedule) and was still going strong til we swapped it out with a junkyard fresh motor and an almost new trans that came straight from Chevy. Lucky find

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
04 Tahoe LT
208,000 miles on the original tranny with no problems.
No known service history, took over the vehicle when I met my wife a few years ago. Tahoe had roughly 189,000 on it and she had no service records.
I literally asked a reputable local shop this morning what their opinion was about doing a full service with fluid and filter and the guy said at this point , he wouldn't bother because I'm already on borrowed time. I honestly don't know if the fluid in this tranny has ever been changed. I pulled the dipstick and the fluid still looks slightly pink. At this point, what do you guys recommend I should do? Service it anyway and hope for the best? Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
You'll need to do a careful inspection of fluid or send it out for analasys. What happens when you change the fluid on a worn out transmission is it's actually the poor condition of the fluid that still allows the old clutches to grab. Put something with adequate lubricity in there and it begins to slip

Aside from smell, You'll need to check the fluid for metal buildup and/or presence of excess friction material in it. If you see that in the fluid, don't bother changing it. Instead, start shopping cause the clock is ticking. If the fluid checks out OK, then you can safely change it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts